mobo / usb problem.. stops on post screen

By cehash
Sep 29, 2005
  1. so here's the problem..
    i have a athlon64 3000+ 939 proc on a abit an8 ultra mobo..with o lot of usb slots.

- when there's no usb device plugged...there's no problem. everyhing works great.

- when there's a device [ IrDA, printer or iPod], i turn on the the computer and it gets stuck on the POST screen...but if i press reset again it works

- if i boot without any device and plug then in windows, everything works.

[i have the latest bios update, latest drivers for mobo, video, etc...]

what shall i do ?
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,147   +597

you should be able to boot w/o the usb devices and after login, plug them in.
    for the printer, I would install or reinstall the printed software from the CD.
    likewise for IrDA and iPod if they come with software. Once each device works
    correctly with this sequence, your cable-up then boot sequence should work too.
  3. cehash

cehash TS Rookie Topic Starter

isn't a driver a 'bridge' betwen the device and the OS..
    if the os is not loaded...i don't think there's somenthin to do with the drvers..
  4. jobeard

Windows does a better job of discovery for devices during boot-up process
    and will auto configure the system whenever possible. try it -- you'll like it :)
  5. cehash

cehash TS Rookie Topic Starter

i really don't think there s any windows when the bios is detecting hardware and stuff....
  6. jobeard

I didn't say that. During the boot process, and before the desktop is fully ready, windows will discovery and autoconfig NEW devices that have appeared.
    BIOS is only concerned with the boot device and it's much later that even the
    KB, mouse, et al are configured via the ini files.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.