Mochiads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was browsing last night came across the game More Bloons. I played it for a few minutes reaching a decently hard level and running out of time before being whisked away to attend to more pressing concerns.

Today I came back to play and the site remembers the level I was on. Hmm, I use Firefox, and it is set to clear everything each time it closes. My next thought was, it is tracking me by my IP, so I reset my router, got a new IP, came back and...yep it still knows me.

I then loaded Cleancache and did a total clean, came back, yep it still knows me. Did some looking around and loaded the firefox addon Cookiesafe. Turned the strongest options on inside the program to block 3rd party cookies and came back to the site and played Bloons (original) which I had not played before, beat a few levels, closed firefox, came back, and this game still knows who i am.

Consider me paranoid, this is the first time I've actually noticed being identified. There is no "logging in" on the site. The page I played from initially is http://www.ninjakiwi.com/morebloons.html and if I view source, it points to this swf file:
http://games.mochiads.com/c/g/6a42cb0ddab4b33e/morebloons.swf

Googling mochiads and tracking does field some interesting results, but I still am not sure how they are identifying me. Anyone run into this before and is there a way to prevent it?

Run the removal tools while in Safe Mode. Then run a good registry cleaner you know how to use... or run CCleaner. There are a number of free registry cleaners at www.majorgeek.com. Next, run AVG Antispyware, AVG AntiRootkit, and AVG AntiVirus. You will also benefit from Adaware 6.0 and Spybot 1.4.
But usually this type of infestation requires a paid spyware program such as Spysweeper 5.2, StopZilla 4.4, Spyware Doctor 4.0, Counter Spy, or SpywareBlaster 3.5.1.

Usually, it's the COOKIES that hold the tracking info.
You cleared the CACHE, which holds scripts, graphics, stylesheets and some html
You reset the IP (but most likely it was just reset to the original value anyway)

Clear ALL Cookies, quit the browser altogether, and then visit & play.
Repeat the above line again and test if it 'remembers'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back