Modding Athlon XP to MP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I considered it, but then thought about the cost, and the fact then I would have 2 heaters in my PC. My current rig (Dual PIII 850s @ 1Ghz) runs pretty hot as it is - Athlons would surely be even worse. :)

Originally posted by Th3M1ghtyD8
I considered it, but then thought about the cost, and the fact then I would have 2 heaters in my PC. My current rig (Dual PIII 850s @ 1Ghz) runs pretty hot as it is - Athlons would surely be even worse. :)

I'm sure the Athlons won't be that much hotter compred to the 1GHz PIII :D It's not as bad as it sounds ;)

Originally posted by lokem
I'm sure the Athlons won't be that much hotter compred to the 1GHz PIII :D It's not as bad as it sounds ;)

Well, taking this at face value, you're wrong...
Intel's chips are running much cooler than AMD's...

The p3 (800 Mhz) is rated as putting out 22.5 watts, whereas the AthlonXP is rated for 53 watts (1500+) to 64 (2100+) watts... As you can see, that is allmost twice as much heat from the Athlon than the P3...

To check the exact difference, take a look here for the p3's, and here for the athlon Xp's...

Well, you're right ;) Forgot to take into the account the HSF that Athlons use compared to that to P3 ;)

Well, you're right ;)

Aren't I allways :D ;)

Forgot to take into the account the HSF that Athlons use compared to that to P3 ;)

An honest mistake... Especially since some of the coolers for intel make just as much noise as those for AMD :D

Now that I didn't know. Care to give some examples of such coolers for Intel?

Take a look at the Alpha's here... They have a quite high decibel output... (And people have changed the "standard" fans to black labels...)

Or take a look here for a fan which has very low decibel output (can be used on both AMD and INTEL IIRC)

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi

Take a look at the Alpha's here... They have a quite high decibel output... (And people have changed the "standard" fans to black labels...)

Or take a look here for a fan which has very low decibel output (can be used on both AMD and INTEL IIRC)

Thanks for the link. I thought you were talking about Intel stock HSF which I thought was pretty strange since they're the more quiet ones around.

Only read something about that today. Supposedly there have been details around for a while but I don't remember seeing it here.

My CeBIT news post has a bit about AMD plans for the locking of the MP abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back