Modding Athlon XP to MP

By lokem
Mar 18, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 794

I considered it, but then thought about the cost, and the fact then I would have 2 heaters in my PC. My current rig (Dual PIII 850s @ 1Ghz) runs pretty hot as it is - Athlons would surely be even worse. :)
  2. lokem

lokem Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 773

I'm sure the Athlons won't be that much hotter compred to the 1GHz PIII :D It's not as bad as it sounds ;)
  3. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

Well, taking this at face value, you're wrong...
    Intel's chips are running much cooler than AMD's...

The p3 (800 Mhz) is rated as putting out 22.5 watts, whereas the AthlonXP is rated for 53 watts (1500+) to 64 (2100+) watts... As you can see, that is allmost twice as much heat from the Athlon than the P3...

To check the exact difference, take a look here for the p3's, and here for the athlon Xp's...
  4. lokem

Well, you're right ;) Forgot to take into the account the HSF that Athlons use compared to that to P3 ;)
  5. MrGaribaldi

Aren't I allways :D ;)

An honest mistake... Especially since some of the coolers for intel make just as much noise as those for AMD :D
  6. lokem

Perhaps, perhaps not :D

Now that I didn't know. Care to give some examples of such coolers for Intel?
  7. MrGaribaldi

Take a look at the Alpha's here... They have a quite high decibel output... (And people have changed the "standard" fans to black labels...)

Or take a look here for a fan which has very low decibel output (can be used on both AMD and INTEL IIRC)
  8. lokem

Thanks for the link. I thought you were talking about Intel stock HSF which I thought was pretty strange since they're the more quiet ones around.
  9. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 794

10. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,536   +92

Only read something about that today. Supposedly there have been details around for a while but I don't remember seeing it here.

My CeBIT news post has a bit about AMD plans for the locking of the MP abilities

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.