Modem Ethernet issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not exactly savvy to networking and computers in general, besides having used the internet and software and such a lot. However, I have a broadband cable internet connection. It goes to the modem that my isp gave me and travels to my computer via USB. And that's the problem.. Ethernet won't work. Or will it? I don't know, that's why I'm here. When I connect the modem via USB it is entirely recognized and instantly works. If I plug it in with Ethernet it doesn't work. The light labeled "PC" is dark and the send and receive lights are dark also. The computer does nothing to acknowledge the modem in this state, and has no connection to the internet. I only care because I bought a router to use my laptop wireless and the only way to connect to it from my modem is to use Ethernet. The router's internet light is dark when connected to my modem, but if I connect my modem to my computer with USB and then my router to my computer with Ethernet, the router has internet and WLAN is activated. Doesn't help much though, considering the computer is attached.

If it helps, I'm very sure this modem worked with Ethernet on a different computer at one time, but not on the one I had before my laptop. Is it possible for just the Ethernet related parts of the modem to have been fried in a surge caused by lightning? If so, that could be it, maybe. I'll provide any information you ask for if I know how to get it.

But, yeah, any reason the Ethernet does nothing? Do I have to set it up in some way that I haven't tried? Does MAC have anything to do with this?

Confirm in Deice Manager (Start->Run-> Devmgmt.msc) that your Ethernet device is enabled

Connecting a "Patch" ethernet cable (the one provided by your ISP) should turn the little led on (shown at the modem)

You can also purchase a new PCI (internal) Ethernet card

Normally I do not like USB, as it needs drivers to run it, whereas Ethernet does not require any extra drivers to run

Does the Ethernet cable have to be the patch one? And I really know nothing about Ethernet cards. (Going to attempt to find the patch cable now by checking for the light)

Also, will having the modem connected to the computer with USB mess up trying to connect it with Ethernet?

Also, will having the modem connected to the computer with USB mess up trying to connect it with Ethernet?

Generally no. But again Ethernet preferred

Normally users do not have the other "cross-over" Ethernet cable. Which is used to connect computer to computer only. Therefore it's likely you have the short "Patch" lead

I was not aware that there is more than one kind of Ethernet cable. I just thought that they all basically function the same. I currently only have two of them somehow, one from my new router and one from a different modem. Where the original cable for this modem went is a mystery to me. Is there any reason why the ones I have wouldn't work? If so, can I buy a new cable from somewhere, like Wal-Mart?

Also, running the program that you told me to, my Webstar modem doesn't show up when connected with Ethernet but it does when connected with USB. More evidence toward broken modem?

Well I'm not sure if it's the network cable, or the ethernet port, or possibly even being disabled in your system somewhere.

But you can purchase an ethernet patch cable from anywhere. Don't buy online and wait, just go down to your local computer store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back