TechSpot

Modem not being detected

By tmm5899
Feb 11, 2008
  1. A friend of mine has a computer that has windows xp professional installed on it. The computer was given to him the original problem showed a modem that had a yellow circle with a black mark inside the yellow circle next to the modem. I went to a forum I don't remember which one but someone replied that I was to uninstall the modem. With out taking the modem out, and reboot the computer I did that and now the computer does not detect any modem it makes me choose from a list how do I know the right one. The computer was built so it has no brand name on it what do I need to do to help my friend? I am using a public computer to post my question so I can not download anything and my friend does not want to take the modem out of the computer unless it is absolutely necessary we can not afford to buy a new modem. what can i do to get my friend connected to the internet? it is an internal modem any help would be appriciated i have to use a public computer to ask for help.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Install the drivers manually. Take the ID numbers off the modem chip, as well as the brand name off the card itself, and any model numbers.
    Then download the drivers from the modem manufacturer's site, or from a site such as www.driverguide.com.
    Install the drivers in a location you can find. Then go to the Windows->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager and tell the section on modems where to look for the drivers it needs to install.
    Nearly all modem drivers are Operating System specific, so be sure you have downloaded the correct drivers for the OS you have on the computer.

3. tmm5899

tmm5899 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 20

my friend does not want me to open the computer is there another way to get the information such as a program

4. raybay

you can use a program such as Evergreen, or Belarc Advisor. www.belarcadvisor.com... free download... it will inventory the machine if it is running.

5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 21,058   +169

If your friend won't let you open up the computer... walk away and wish him luck. Otherwise do what raybay suggests. The Modem chip or IC is the largest chip on the modem. It is this number that will point you to the right driver. It is possible that the modem went bad. You could buy a name brand modem and replace the original, but you would still have to open up the case to do this

6. Acclamator

Acclamator TS Rookie Posts: 295

Untrue Tmagic, he could use an external modem.

7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,514   +336

Both Evergreen, or Belarc Advisor will report all devices nicely and Belarc is useful for future MS updates and security analysis too :)

8. raybay

Sorry, my mistake. It is not Evergreen, but Everest Equipment Audit <www.knowledgestorm.co.uk/ksuk/search/keyword>. You can find it elsewhere with a Google search... and there are others. Such as CoolMon www.coolmon.org, Driver View <www.nirsoft.net> and others ... as well as what you can find by going to the website of the computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer.

9. tmm5899

how do i know the name of the manufacturer of the mother board with out taking it out of the computer. the operating system is windows xp professional

10. tmm5899

the links do not go to the page what is wrong maybe another mistake

11. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 3,556

Download and run Everest Home (it is free):

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Once you download it, click on it and let it install and then run it from the icon on your desktop.

Click on the + sign beside 'Computer', then on 'Summary', then go to the VERY top of the screen and click on 'report'.

Cursor over 'quick report-summary' and then click on 'plain text' and then click on 'save to file' and change the 'save in' folder to 'Desktop' and then click 'Save'.

Clear all your open windows and on the Desktop click on that 'report.txt' folder - this will open it in a text editor (probably Notepad) and then use your mouse to highlight ALL the data then copy and paste it to here.

12. tmm5899

modem not detected

which one do i download? i am trying to detect and install the modem how can everest help?

13. tmm5899

modem not detected

[i am not understanding how can i download this to a disk i am using a public computer to fix another computer so i can get the internet the operating system is windows xp

QUOTE=CCT]Download and run Everest Home (it is free):

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Once you download it, click on it and let it install and then run it from the icon on your desktop.

Click on the + sign beside 'Computer', then on 'Summary', then go to the VERY top of the screen and click on 'report'.

Cursor over 'quick report-summary' and then click on 'plain text' and then click on 'save to file' and change the 'save in' folder to 'Desktop' and then click 'Save'.

Clear all your open windows and on the Desktop click on that 'report.txt' folder - this will open it in a text editor (probably Notepad) and then use your mouse to highlight ALL the data then copy and paste it to here.[/QUOTE]

14. CCT

It can't. Ignore my post - it was mean of me. Wait for someone who really cares to offer help.

edit: a bit of exasperation here - either you CAN download or you cannot. Don't ask "which one do i download?" then complain when someone tells you which one.

15. tmm5899

what are you talking about tell me what i need to do i am not good with computers

16. CCT

Make sure the com/serial ports are enabled in bios.

If you are not sure what is used for network 'card' (internal onboard or internal OCI card), then check in bios for a setting to enable onboard LAN and enable it if present.

Check that a bios setting for 'plug and play o/s' is Yes (if available).

After those checks, does the modem get recognized on boot? Is it still flagged yellow ! mark or ? mark ?

17. raybay

You need to get into the case.
    The fact that the System -> Hardware -> Device Manager showed the modem with a yellow flag is a verification that the modem was Detected.
    The problem is usually flagged because it has no driver, or an incorrect driver, but it can also mean that the modem is defective.
    You are wasting everybody's time by not opening the case to determine the brand and model of the modem. You will probably need to open the case to finish this job... whether you fix that one or replace it.
    A quick fix will be to replace the modem with a new one that has an install disk. Modems are very cheap nowadays. However, you are screwed because you are not allowed to open the case.
    Since you are unable to understand what is necessary to inventory the case, or to use Belarc, or Everest, or one of the others, why not take it to somebody who can do it for you. It will take less than a half hour.

18. tmm5899

modem not detected

i am sorry if the last reply i got the person thought i was wasting everyones time i am trying to help a friend and i am not familiar with windows xp professional and i am not a great computer geek. i need instructions in english a person at another forum told me to uninstall the modem and reboot the computer i did that and now the computer does not even detect the modem so with windows xp professional what do i need to do to get the computer to detect the modem please anyone help me if you can

19. CCT

20. raybay

You have been given instructions and ideas that work, and are relatively easy. You have not bothered to follow them. You cannot just keep shopping until you find instructions you understand. We are trying to be helpful, but you need to do your part, and give clear replies back on what did not work or why.

Best that you get a friend to do this for you, otherwise... or a tech.

There must be a good reason why your "friend" does not want you to open the case, right?

21. megabomination

megabomination TS Enthusiast Posts: 177

Does gl mean 'get lost' , thats not very nice. LOL

22. tmm5899

sorry i am not a computer expert and i do not live close to my friend and i work so i am trying to get a whole list of ideas to try before i go to his house i am willing to try suggestions one told me to uninstall the modem and not take it out of the computer and reboot the computer now the computer hard ware wizard does not detect the modem. that is why i have the problem

23. Tmagic650

I think some people are just lonely and need some attention They have no intention of fixing anything...

24. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,514   +336

IMO, too many people 'open cases' and remove/reinstall hardware needlessly.
    There are several tools to profile systems externally. Those without experience are
    wise to leave well enough alone.

Reminds me of the commercial where the Doctor is giving instructions to the patient
    over the phone -- you be the judge :wave:

25. Tmagic650

Yeah,
    I like that commercial Jobeard :haha: I guess us old techs remember the days when finding drivers really took some time and skill. Most internal modems are built by just a few manufacturers, so even telling us what the logo is on the "Big" IC can provide us with enough info to find the driver. It just takes a few minutes

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.