Modem problems and dumprep.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

paranoid guy

First off, I have been unable to use this computer's modem for a month. Don't know why, it just stopped working. Everything was fine on my end, but the dsl sync ligh tjust wouldn't light up. Then yesterday my little brother turned on the modem and it worked! I still have no idea what happened. Anyway now there's another problem. My cpu usage is at 100% and this thing is freezing and trying to catch up with me even as I'm typing this. There are 3 dumprep.exe files in task manager that are eating cpu usage, they're using 135,920kb each. If anyone can help me out I'd be much obliged, I just want this thing to work again like it used to. btw I have had no warnings from my anti virus and I'm pretty sure it's not malicious.
Edit: Just thought of something else too, I keep getting a dial-up connection box trying to use certain programs, even though I'm using broadband and the message, "please plug the phone line into your modem" so I can't get to the iTunes music store but firefox is ok. :confused:

Go HERE and read the instructions.

Post a HJT log into this thread and I`ll take a look and see if there`s anything nasty on your system.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks a million Howard. That attachment should be there, I reckon it's clean enough, but then again I'm still a noob when it comes to these hjt logs. Did a bit of reading on dumprep.exe, it seems to be a program used to make reports about problems, minidumps maybe?
I think what started it all is when the modem started working again all my internet settings are messed up. Tell you what, I'll attach a picture of my internet options screen and maybe you can tell me which one to set as my default connection, I have it set on broadband at the moment but should I go into lan settings and try using automatically detect settings? Because it's saying only use the options above for dial up. :confused: Sorry for explaining this so badly.

Have HJT fix this entry.

O16 - DPF: {38D63471-E630-4492-A986-B8C48B79F2F8} (CVideoEgg_ActiveXCtl Object) - http://update.videoegg.com/wintel/VideoEggPublisher.exe

Other than that, your HJT log is clean.

Dumprep.exe is part of the Windows error reporting software. This should only run after a crash etc. Stop the process in task manager.

Yes set the automatically detect settings option and see if that helps.

It could be that your modem need replacing.

I'm 90% certain the modem itself is fine, I think the original problem was an isp issue, I am with errorcom I suppose!
Anyway the only remaining niggle is the bloody dial up box that keeps popping up and telling me to connect the phone line to my modem! I mean how else would I be writing this! :haha: So if anyone can suggest anything that would restore the
settings to how they were that'd be a big help, because when my little brother or sister are using the computer and that box comes up they'll start annoying me about it :rolleyes:

To get rid of the annoying popup.

Let HJT fix this entry.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelMeM] C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe

Kewl thanks again Howard will do. I just know I'll be called for advice every five minutes if I don't fix it now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back