Modem randomly disconnects

I got a NetGear CM500 modem in August, and connected it to my TWC service (100mbps down/10 up). Up until this past week, all was perfectly fine, I received good speeds and signal.

As of this week, I am randomly disconnected from the Internet multiple times a day, where the modem basically is kicked offline. The modem will act as if power cycling, then the download light will connect and stay solid, then the upload light will blink and blink but not connect for random amounts of time. Sometimes power cycling helps, sometimes unplugging the coaxial cable helps, sometimes nothing helps.

I called TWC, and they sent a tech out to see what was what. Unfortunately, I was an ***** and scheduled the visit while I had class, but I had my girlfriend there and she noted what he did and said. He replaced my splitter and coaxial cables and declared it fixed. Little did he know that 10 minutes after I got home, the issue would reemerge. I gave him a call, where he basically (he worded it in a way that I would get the idea without him being liable) called my modem a POS and said I should either get a new one or a TWC modem (he really really tried to sell it to me).

That night I got a new modem (Zoom 5345 Docsis 3.0), and the same exact thing happened within 30 minutes of having it connected to my TWC account. Download light would stay solid while the upload light blinked and blinked.

What should I do? I'm just trying to get my Internet to be reliable again. Ive only had the service for a month, it's a bit ridiculous that all these problems would occur so soon.

Get a cmd prompt and enter
  • ipconfig /all
right at the top you see
  • Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : ?what do you see here?

Back