modem sharing on XP please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I am hopeing that someone will be able to help me here, this is driving me crazy.
I have three pc's connected to my home network. We are connected by a gateway router. The main pc on the network is running xp, the other two are running win98. Initially we all accessed cable through the router. Now however, I no longer have cable. I have a damaged modem in one win98pc and another without a modem. The XP is connected with a 56K modem through aol. I need to access the internet with one of the other pc's . I have looked at all the windows help I can find, and it all says that "under network connections I should be able to click on my connection(aol?) and then click NETWORK TASKS .. that would be great, but there is no network tasks ANYWHERE in Network Connections that I can find. I checked and I am running the home version of XP.
Can anyone tell me why I am having problems with this.
Thanks so much in advance!
Molly

Without the router you should be able to share a dial up from one computer to the other computers on the network. By Default XP doesn't have ICS (internet connection sharing) enabled, so you have to add it under the properties section of network neighborhood.

It should run you through a wizard and at the end ask if you want to make a disk to enable the ICS on the other client computers. Give that a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back