Modem won't connect through ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not extremely tech saavy so I'll try to explain this as best I can:

I have a computer (PC/Windows 2000 Professional) and it came with a built-in RTL8139A Ethernet card made by Realtek. I recently got DSL service for my home but when I try to connect the modem to the computer using an ethernet cable, it doesn't recognize the port or connection.

I checked under device manager and it said the device was enabled. Downloaded the latest driver from the website but still no connection.

Is this the right card to connect to the DSL modem and get on the net? Is there some other setting that I'm missing to enable it?

I can connect the modem and get up and running with USB. And the ethernet cable works fine with XBOX Live. So my guess is that is has something to do with the card.

Can anyone offer an suggestions to get me up and running?

thanks.

Welcome to TechSpot
You are probably current with W2K-updates.
For a while now, MS has had its own W2K driver-update for Realtek NICs. Only problem is: a working NIC no longer works after M$ -update!
So, if you have installed that update, uninstall it and use the original driver from W2K itself. I fell into the same M$-trap and it took me ages to figure it out.
Also, check if you need a straight or crossover network-cable. Maybe you use the wrong type?

If you connect a device to your PC through an ethernet connection then it will not show up in Device Manager.

Your DSL modem should have come with instructions how to set up a DSL connection in Windows. You can also ask your ISP for assistance.

Thanks for the input on this matter. I just received this email back from Realtek tech support. Having trouble understanding what he means by "change your DSL LAN port." Anyone know? He included an attachment. I'm assuming it runs a diagnostic or something. Thanks.

"Thank you for your e-mail.Could you change other DSL LAN port
and try again .I provide diagnostic program to detect lan states."

One other quick question. I can connect the modem through USB but I assume that it's not as fast as connecting through and ethernet cable?

Is this true?

thanks

I think that is hypothetical. Your ISP only offers 56Kb/512Kb/1Mb or 2Mb speeds.

With USB you should not see any difference, provided you plug straight into a computer-port, not a hub.
But Ethernet offers better control, so I would advise that.

By DSL LAN port, he (most likely) means the network settings under TCP/IP
these would be fixed or by DHCP depending on the DSL-modem settings.
When fixed, they should be in the range of 192.168.0.1 or 0.2 or 0.3 or 1.1 or 1.2 etc. with a subnetmask of 255.255.255.0
Check my attachment. It is for a router basically but you will get the drift.

Attachments

• Basics-Networking.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 963
Router and Hub..

Hai,
I have 2 computers.. i have taken a broadband connection..I have them in LAN thru Ethernet Hub 10 Mbps..
Now, i want to share my internet among them.. but, i heard from some friend, that i need a router for this.. can anyone tell me what is the difference between them n where can i get a good router with a normal cost..
Also, can anyone tell me how should i connect them..
Is that possible in any way to connect them thru LAN.. If so, how?
Expecting reply..
With Thanx in Advance,
Radhika.S.

You need a router. Or a computer performing the role of a router. Most routers have a 10/100 Mbit switch builtin too so you will get a nice speed boost to your LAN too.

All computer shops sell broadband routers.

You can't go wrong with a Linksys although they are pricey. A known networking brand like 3com or SMC would be OK too.

All home routers come with manuals and a quick setup guide. If you can read then you can't go wrong :p

Nodsu said:
If you connect a device to your PC through an ethernet connection then it will not show up in Device Manager.

Your DSL modem should have come with instructions how to set up a DSL connection in Windows. You can also ask your ISP for assistance.
If your nic card is installed yes it will show under device manager,it will show as network adapters realtek and dialup adapter should be in there.

I was under the (false) impression that "through ethernet connection" would be understood by people as "connected to the computer via an ethernet cable"..

Guess i was wrong :(

clarity

realblackstuff said:
I think that is hypothetical. Your ISP only offers 56Kb/512Kb/1Mb or 2Mb speeds.

With USB you should not see any difference, provided you plug straight into a computer-port, not a hub.
But Ethernet offers better control, so I would advise that.

By DSL LAN port, he (most likely) means the network settings under TCP/IP
these would be fixed or by DHCP depending on the DSL-modem settings.
When fixed, they should be in the range of 192.168.0.1 or 0.2 or 0.3 or 1.1 or 1.2 etc. with a subnetmask of 255.255.255.0
Check my attachment. It is for a router basically but you will get the drift.

the router provides DHCP support which produces the non-routed LAN addresses. If the system is directly wired to the modem, the DHCP support from the ISP will not be a non-routable address, but rather a public IP address in the range of the ISP's domain.

If the system will run correctly when directly cabled to the modem and not so when the router is in the path, then qed, it's the router that's non-functional :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back