TechSpot

Mojang announces August release for Minecraft Xbox One, PS4 and Vita editions

By Jos
May 22, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. One of the most popular gaming titles in recent years is finally making the jump to next-gen consoles. Mojang announced today that Minecraft is coming to the PlayStation 4, Vita and Xbox One in August . Each will cost $19.99...

Read more

2. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

I wish Mojang would make a DS version so I can get my kids one for their respective DSes.

3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,154   +1,429

"Slightly improved" in the world of Minecraft must be in adding one extra line of pixels...

Truly, the "dumb" goes to new heights. They say it takes to know the right time and the right place to take c##p, and it will turn to gold. And judging by what I've seen, your lucky man had a diarrhoea right on the spot.

4. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,904   +529

ds version? impossible on that ancient hardware. they might make it if they remove 80% on the world. (maybe)

5. At least, vitally, their sentences make sense/cents.
    But honestly, £19.99 for that?

6. cmbjive

If they can make Minecraft for smartphones and tablets they can make Minecraft for the DS.

7. Puiu

smartphones and tablets have more powerful hardware.
    like I said, they can try to make it, but it won't be minecraft anymore.

8. cmbjive

I don't believe it has anything to do with the hardware. There are weaker smartphones and tablets than the 3DS that can run condensed versions of the game. Also, considering that Minecraft is much smaller than several throwback games and there is a knockoff version called DSCraft already available for the system tells me that Mojang could develop Minecraft for the DS, but it chooses not to. Which is all perfectly fine: I just want the kiddies to stop playing it on my PS3 so they can play it on their DSes.

9. Puiu

just like PC games, smartphone games also have hardware requirements.
    here's the DS hardware:
    ARM11 MPCore-based dual-core processor
    PICA200 as the GPU (OpenGL ES 1.1 API support + some added features)
    128MB RAM with a maximum bandwidth of 3.2 GB/s, in which 32 MB are reserved for the operating system and unavailable to games
    6 MB of VRAM

+secondary CPU's for background services.
    ------------------------
    as you can see it's ancient hardware that is surpassed by even cheap, under 100$, smartphones now
    I'm sure you'll find some games that your kids will love to play on the 3DS :D