Momentary freezing

I am experiencing some momentary freezing on my computer which I can't seem to explain. I'm running Windows XP Professional. I have made no downloads recently nor have I installed any new software. I've done a full virus scan using Avira but with no finds. I've run every possible function of Tune-Up utilities 2011 but with no luck. I also run Malwarebytes Anti Malware and still nothing. Chkdsk didn't help me either. I ran all the tests in the bios as well but everything ok.
The freezing lasts between a few seconds to a few minutes and doesn't seem to be dependant on whether I'm running a programme or not. I suspect a hardware defect but don't know how to check for it.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks

computer is a HP compaq nx 6110

Are these freezings occuring randomnly or when you are doing something specific? Do they occur at any time or when you have had it up and running for some time?

there doesn't seem to be a pattern although it does seem better the first 4-5 minutes of use and then slowly deteriorates. How would I know if its overheating? I always thought the laptop was quite warm and so I raise it up a bit to allow more air. It is quite old so I guess it could be anything. Strange that it just suddenly started playing up. Should I try a system restore and see what happens?
thanks
Matt

A system restore would be a good diagnostic step. It may or may not be the answer but it certainly would not hurt.

I am suspicious that heat is the culprit here. Check your vents and clear away any and all dust.

Completed a system restore last night....just...with a lot of freezing and waiting. Tried using the computer this morning and now struggling to do anything which makes me think its not the heat as it was cold this morning and had only been on 20 seconds when it froze. Freezing also seems much worse. Using Ctrl Alt Del seems to bring it out but only momentarily. I can hear the hard drive making the same clicking noise it makes when the computer is about to shut down. Maybe it made the noise before and I just didn't realise so it might not mean anything. Sound card was also briefly not working but seems to be ok again. Is there anything I can do except formatting?

Back up everything that you can -- NOW. There is the possibility your harddrive is failing. What make is you harddrive?

I use an external and I have partitioned the drives. The notebook is a HP Compaq nx6110 and I think it has a Pentium M 740 1.73GHz, 512MB RAM. Excuse the lack of clarity but I don't have it in front of me. I thought it was an Intel(R) but after researching on the internet I think it must be M. Should I download one of these emergency linux rescue programs to try and save the second partition. There's not much on it....I think. What can I do about all the programs I have,like Tune-up,or should I just do away with it. Would love to do without but I'm a noob so I don't know how to run those checks without the use of such a program.
Thanks again for taking the time and helping.
Matt

If you can, do a search for a nifty little utility called SIW (System Information for Windows). After you install it to your desktop double click it and a screen will pop up. On the left hand screen will be a column. Find the Storage icon and click that on. The larger scree to your right with give the make of the harddrive.

Give us the make.

Back