Moniter displays nothing when boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to load a new OS on an old computer of mine (appx. 5 year old). Well, I set everything back up, but when I turned the computer on it seemed like it was working ok, but the moniter acts like its not even plugged into the computer. I tried using about 3 different moniters (including the one I'm working off of right now), but all gave the same results. I know everything is plugged in where it's supposed to be. Any help would be appreciated.

Check your graphics card is seated properly in its socket.
If that doesn't work, then give us more info on your system.
How can you expect anyone to help when all the info you provide is that your monitor isn't working?

Sorry, I should've mentioned my specs. CPU: Celeron 533mhz, GFX: Intel integrated, HDD: 15gb Ultra DMA/66, Sound: Integrated, RAM: 64mb. Need anymore?

check the bios and make sure that it is set to boot thru the integrated graphics.

Most likely your graphics card. Yeah, make sure it's in the socket alright.

This is most likely your problem.

Btw, how does he get to the BIOS if no monitors work?

If you've used 3 different monitors, then the problem lies with your computer. What can cause no video signal?

Well, if you are unable to view the BIOS screen, this leaves hardware to blame. Things like this are merely a process of elimination.

Common hardware failures that can cause this kind of problem include video card, system memory, motherboard & CPU. I would attempt to reseat the memory and make sure it is working properly by trying each module one at a time. You may want to plug in a PCI video card to test your system.

I would also attempt to clear the CMOS (please consult your motherboard manual). This involves shorting out 2 of 3 pins somewhere on your board OR removing the CMOS battery for a few seconds.

There are a number of other things I would try, but these are some of the first things. Also, more specifics would be helpful. Perhaps sounds or odd behavior that may have lead up to this moment etc... The more info, the more detailed the responses. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back