Monitor and CPU shut off during boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I have had my computer in storage for a while, pulling it out here and there for miscellaneous tasks. I finally got internet back, so I decided to set everything back up. However, when I turn on the pc it flips the monitor on and back off. I had problems in the past with the monitor not always kicking on during a boot, but I just shut the pc off and turned it back on...then it worked fine.
Today I decided to buy a new graphics card and when I turn the pc on it just shows the new graphics card info and then the monitor kicks off. Then, I realized the cpu fan shuts off at the same time. I don't know if my cpu is still running or not, since I can't view anything on the screen..... Any ideas???

.............I tried the monitor on another computer and it works fine...I've tried two different power supply units..The original graphics are onboard and my new graphics card is a GeForce FX5200(PCI)

I was tinkering around with it again just now and I have pretty much ruled out the graphics card...guess I should have messed around with it a little more before blowing the money on that. Anyways, when i turn on the pc now...the fan on the heatsink flips on and right back off. So, I have no idea whether there is a problem with just the heatsink, the processor itself, or the mobo..Any ideas????

Hi there,
Is there a message displaying "no sync input?" If so, then it is probably the graphic card vga port. I am still having that problem with my computer, if i try to reinsert the plug it finally works. It could be the vga cable as well, one of the pins could be bent in the plug or one of the pins could of broke off inside the vga port in your graphic card.

garytman said:
Hi there,
Is there a message displaying "no sync input?" If so, then it is probably the graphic card vga port. I am still having that problem with my computer, if i try to reinsert the plug it finally works. It could be the vga cable as well, one of the pins could be bent in the plug or one of the pins could of broke off inside the vga port in your graphic card.
Nah...No message about the "no sync input." VGA cable is fine...that was the first thing I checked. I am pretty sure at this point my motherboard is toast.

AlbertLionheart said:
Does your motherboard pass POST??
Doesn't even get there...I've replaced the motherboard, graphics card, power supply...checked the cables, tried the monitor on another pc(worked fine). However, it still won't kick on. My CPU finally stays on since I replaced the motherboard. Any ideas?

I know this might sound strange, but I have been having the same problem as you. Here are a few things that worked for me. Uninstall and reinstall the memory, Unplug your powersupply and reconnect the 20 pin connector. The simplest thing will cause this to happen as it does in my BX board. I do know part of the problem is definitely my graphic card, but I have had this happen so many times from memory not in all the way. Memory that will not work in my computer, and even though my power supply was snug, I had to disconnect and reconnect again to trip the pc back on.

Without expensive tools, the only way to find out what is going on is to eliminate the faulty item.
Taken everything off the m/brd except the the chip, chip fan and power cable(s). Including the cables to the front panel. Remember where they all connect.
Connect the speaker if not onboard.
Restart using a screwdriver to short the pins where the power switch connector connects.
POST (Power On Self Test)? - should be a string of beeps as no RAM or graphics connected. If you have beeps this is good - no beeps means a dead board - so take off the battery for 2 mins to reset the BIOS chip and try again. Still no beeps - board is dead. If you inspect the board and see any malformed capacitors (bulging or discoloured) bin the board.
If beeps, refit a RAM module - if beeps fit the other RAM. If beeps, keep adding bits until it stops - and you should have found the culprit.
Let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back