Monitor blacking out problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully someone can help me.

I started working on my computer this morning as usual. Opened up my programmes ( Internet Explorer, Outlook Email ) and started to reply to my emails. I then opened up MS Office Word to print labels and my screen went blank, yet the power button stayed lit. I pressed the power button off, then back on again and my screen came on for two or three seconds and went off again. It did this several times before I decided to reboot to see if that made any difference but no, still did the same thing. Then after a few minutes, I turned it off/on again and this time it stayed on - great I thought. But no, it started doing it all again after a few minutes.

I've now managed to get it to stay on again ( hence my typing this ! ). I'm running a full virus scan and a spyware scan in case that is the problem. I don't think heat is a problem as my monitor and computer are fairly well aired, with a fan blowing at them most of the time.

I have an HP Pavillion computer with Flatscreen monitor F1703 which I've been using since Christmas, so far with no problems.

Would it be possible that this problem is virus related, or maybe it is overheating - although the computer is running as silent as it always does.

Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks
Mark.

Does the power butto LED show the same color (typically green) when it goes off? If not, it may be a loose cable....I faced this problem sometime back and I was thinking of the worst (fried MoBo, Faulty GFX, stuff like dat) and in the ened, it just turned out to be a loose cable

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, the power on button stays the same colour - the monitor just blacks out. My music programme and other programmes keep running. I did loosen the cable as it was in a little tight - not sure if that had any effect.

I've just run full virus and spyware scans and there is nothing there.

I have noticed the odd flickering of the monitor at times, just a slight dimming and then brightening again - so maybe it is a problem with the monitor.

Been ok for the last half hour though - fingers crossed !

Monitor Blacking out

Hi
I have the same problem. Mine goes black for a few seconds and then comes back on. Sometimes when it comes back on, the colors are distorted. When this happens it goes black again right away and comes back on the way it was previously as if correcting itself.
Anyone know what that is?
I lowered all the display colors but that hasn't changed anything.
Right now my window is smaller than my monitor ( maybe from lowering the colors?)
It just happened as I wrote last sentence above...

Hi, you need to read the link below on the HP website.

This is an ongoing problem and is having huge consequences with the fact that HP is making it very difficult for the faulty monitors to be returned / repaired. Call them up and keep talking to someone til you get a satisfactory answer - which can take some time as most of them do not appear to speak very good English.

Hope this helps.
Mark.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&docname=c00409521&lc=en#top :mad:

:confused:
Hmmm.... Well I have a View Sonic Multimedia Series M70 ( that long name almost sounds impressive...)
Sounds like I may need a new monitor.
I wish you well.
I'm used to the broken English. I live in Hawaii...

Kathryn777 said:
:confused:
Hmmm.... Well I have a View Sonic Multimedia Series M70 ( that long name almost sounds impressive...)
Sounds like I may need a new monitor.
I wish you well.
I'm used to the broken English. I live in Hawaii...

Check out the power lead & signal cable - make sure they're secure and not loose.

The controls on the monitor will adjust the window to fit the whole screen.

HP f1703 blacking out

I just bought an HP f1703. It worked for about 15 minutes and then blacked out. "Warning...PC entering power saving mode" was on the screen. I thought it was the computer and tried many things to fix this problem. I finally hooked the monitor up to another computer and got the same thing. Now I know it is the HP f1703 that is the problem. I saw something on another website about the power inverter board and the solder on the coils needing to be redone or cleaned. I also saw fixes with new power adapters. I have seen many fixes but the one about the soldering on the power inverter board coils sounds like it may actually be the fix. I would appreciate any input.

Thank you Cobble10 !!!!!!

I used the URL address posted by Cobble10 and have talked with HP and I am getting a brand new HP f1703 on Monday. I am so happy !!!! Thank you so much to Cobble10 !!!! You have made this day so much better and the HP people were so nice. I had a very good experience with HP....Thank God !!!

IronDuke said:
Check out the power lead & signal cable - make sure they're secure and not loose.

The controls on the monitor will adjust the window to fit the whole screen.
Hi
Thanks for the help with my monitor. I have the size correct now. But I still have problems with blacking out.
It goes black and sometimes it changes color so it looks distorted when it is back on. Then it goes black and then back to what it was. ( correct colors)
Does anyone else's monitor problems center around the color scheme? I can't figure out if it is a bug or what.
I have Mozilla / Thunderbird
McAfee , Spybot Search and Destroy, and Lava Soft Ad aware which I use regularly.

All I had was the blacking out problem !!!

If I was you Kathryn I would call HP. I have had a good experience so far I talked witha guy in Canada and he treated me very well. It is my understanding the newer HP f1703's do not have a power adapter but actually have a regular power cord running to them. I guess I will know for sure when I get my new monitor. Good luck....please call HP....and use the URL addy that cobbie10 posted.

Hi
I wish I could but mine is not an HP :)
If I knew it was definitely the monitor, I would get a new one. ( I got this one free) but the power light is always on so I wonder if it is the monitor that is really the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back