Monitor continually drops to standby mode after a few seconds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druegan

Hi all,

Seems we had a bit of a thunderstorm here last night while I was gone and now my monitor is acting freaky. Here's the scenario:

I came home this morning, everything was off. I powered up the system, everything functions normally. All the noises are their happy selves, the monitor lights up, begins displaying the normal series of graphics/text and whatnot..

After about 30 seconds or so, however, the Monitor drops back into "standby" mode.. like it's not getting a video signal.. (screen goes black, power LED switches from green to amber) The computer, however, is still running, making all its happy whirring noises, etc.

I press the power button on the monitor. The monitor powers down. I press the power button again, and the monitor comes back to life, with full display, no distortion, no problems.... for about 4 seconds, then drops back to "standby".

repeated pressings of the power button produce the exact same result. If it let it sit a while turned off it will last 30 seconds or so of full display before dropping to standby.. if I immediately cycle the power after it shuts off, the display will only last for 3-4 seconds.

This *appears* to be a monitor issue... the rest of the tower acts like everything is happy. (I'm actually currently downloading a bunch of stuff on that machine with the quirky monitor hooked up to it right now) Everything was working fine yesterday when I left.

Ok.. relevant system bits... The system is a recent build... I put it together oh, about a month ago. Video card is a nVidia GeForce 6800 model by eVga. Running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ with 1gb dual channel ddr400, 1 TB archive storage, 74 gig 10krpm SATA "Raptor" system drive, and a beefy 650 watt power supply. Running XP Pro.

I googled for this problem, and I found a bit on a monitor troubleshooting site that suggested the following:

If twice, then the power supply is shutting down as the controller still thinks it is on and you are resetting it. A couple of possibilities here would be low voltage or high voltage regulation error (excessive high voltage is sensed and causes shutdown to prevent dangerous X-ray emission). A partially dried up main filter capacitor could also cause a shutdown but there might be other symptoms like hum bars in the picture just before this happened. Clipping a good capacitor across the suspect (with power off!) would confirm or eliminate this possibility.

Well, I'm not so much of a chiphead that I have a bunch of capacitors lying around or would even know where to clip them to.... but It doesn't seem like a capacitor issue to me.. the voltage regulation error seems closest.

The question is, how might I try and fix it if this is indeed what the problem is, just to rule it out? I don't really have the money for replacing the monitor at this time...

Regards,
Druegan

The first thing to do is try the monitor on another PC or another monitor on your PC.That would certainly narrow things down a bit.
What`s the make and model ? If it`s an old CRT,it might be time for a new monitor.

It's an Optiquest Q95.. probably 4 years old. It's been rock solid up till this issue. I'll try swapping them around and see if it makes a difference.

Ok.. borrowed another monitor from my housemate. It works fine on the system in question, so we've definitely narrowed it down to the monitor.

Druegan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back