Monitor Display

Status
Not open for further replies.
My monitor's display is now more of a pinkish, purple color. Occassionally it will flicker back to regular colors. Anyone have an idea of what could be wrong? And possibly the cost to repair?

I'm definently no expert here, but maybe green beam not functional or green signal not coming through the video cable?
It can be a vid card problem too.

Have you tried the same monitor with a different video card/different monitor with the same video card?
Tried different video modes/refresh rates?

You are probably on to something there Nods, it does sound like the green gun is either not firing, or it is not firing as much as it should be, it could also be caused by the red gun saturating. To bew certain, would you say it looks like a pinkish, purple haze or like everything has been washed in the pinkish, purple hue? If so, then I'm pretty sure it is one of those two problems. It could also possibly be a problem with the gun alignment, some newer monitors do not have any way to adjust this, but others do, you would still have to go inside, which I wouldn't recommend unless you know what you are doing. There are extremely high voltages in there, just like in a TV. Is the monitor still under warranty, if so have them fix it.

It's actually a pinkish/purple hue everywhere. I've tried different modes and refresh rates, but have not tried the vid card.

I will probably take it in to a shop for a diagnostic. It's no longer under warranty.

Thanks for the responses though.

I think you guys are definitely on the right track.
The fact that the correct colours do occassionally return suggests an intermittent problem that could be caused by any number of things ...

1. Video connector pins only making intermittant contact.
2. Faulty tuning pots inside monitor.
3. Loose connection somewhere inside monitor or in wiring/signal feeding monitor.

You might want to try adjusting all the video controls just in case they are not making good contact - try the colour control first. This would only apply to analogue controls so if yours are digital then it will not help.

You can also try shaking things around to see if the picture comes back to normal and isolate the problem area if at all possible. I fixed a similar problem once, and it was caused by a bad contact on a tuning pot that adjusted one of the guns on the tube. The monitor was old and dust was causing the wiper arm on the pot to make poor contact. But really, there are any number of things that could have caused identical symptoms.

If you didn't touch anything before the problem started then most likely your monitor has developed an intermittant fault internally. If you don't feel comfortable opening it up and proding around with it switched ON then don't as its *very dangerous* to do this. As to repairing it, then it all depends on how much its worth to you. Monitors these days are cheap and therefore they tend to be consumable items that are binned when no longer useful. The minimum charge for any repair work would probably be more than the monitor is worth, and if its outside the warranty period (3 yrs is common) then it is probably already too old to be worth fixing.

Have you tested the monitor in another machine to ensure the the monitor is alright or tested a working monitor with the pc to check if the graphics card is alright?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back