Monitor Driver update problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to update my monitor driver, however, when I get to display properties and hit advanced under the settings tab, I should be able to go to properties under the monitor tab. However, when I hit the monitor tab, it only shows me the properties button greyed out and I can't click on it.

I had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall all my programs and drivers, but I know positively that I did not have this problem before. Can anyone help me out here? Thanks.

This is the same location as going to Device Manager and doubleclicking your monitor driver.
Right-Click My Computer and choose properties. Then go to the Hardware tab and click Device Manager. Look in this list for any question marks, exclamations or red Xs. Also look for any Unknown Device. Tell us what you find.
Also you should find your current monitor in there. Usually in it's own heading called "Monitors". Also tell us what your monitor is listed as, and what heading it's under. And what happens if you double click it.

Good luck.

There are question marks under the "other devices" heading. Under that there are question marks for "Video controller" and "video controller (VGA compatible)". Also, in the device manager, there is no heading titled "monitor". Under the display properties its still listed as a generic plug and play. However, it seems strange that under the display properties window, when I open up the advanced properties, it only has DPI settings under the general tab, and not the refresh rate. I thought that the refresh rate was supposed to be located there.

Your problem is that your video card driver is not loaded. So the computer doesn't know what resolution and refresh rate it can handle, regardless of whether a proper monitor driver is loaded.

You need to find out what your video card is and go download the latest driver. If you have a Nvidia or ATI card, you can get drivers from www.nvidia.com or www.ati.com in their downloads section. For any other card, you'll have to go to their web site.

Once your video card is loaded properly, your monitor settings should come back to normal.

Good luck

Hey man, thanks a lot.

Yeah, that was the problem. I guess it had been a few weeks and I simply forgot to update my video drivers first. Oh well, it works now. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back