Monitor driver update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

Hi, I am trying to find a replacement driver for my monitor, I'm currently using a stock XP one dated 2001. The reason is that I have a game called Cold Fear that will not play on my pc. I built it myself, and have had no problem with other demanding games like BF2, Doom 3, Farcry, etc. When I start the game the screen goes black but I can hear the audio.

I've exhausted every fix I can think of. I've updated all my drivers but for the monitor (19" Orion CRT). Orion does not host updates. Ubisoft support does not have the answer, and I'm trying to rule out everything.

My pc's specs are this:
AMD athlon 3200+ Barton CPU
BFG Nvidia 6800GT 256mb video card- DirectX 9c
2 GB Ram
Asus A7N8X-E deluxe MB
Soundblaster Live SC
Windows XP Pro

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Thank you for your reply. I am currently using Nvidia's latest 7.8.0.1 (8/05) which works fine with all of my other titles. This game was released back in January I believe, so I would think this driver should suffice. I'd be reluctant to uninstall the driver for just one game unless I knew for sure that it was in fact driver related.

I'm thinking it may be monitor frequency related but other users have played it at the same settings I've attempted to use (75hz). I really don't know. This is the only title that has ever done this- very frustrating.

Hmmm. Maybe trying 60Hz refresh would rule out if it was refresh related. Also, is there a safe mode for the game?

Good call- I don't believe so- at least not via the splash screen.

Man would I love to know why this does this. I'm fully aware of computer anomalies but this has me beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back