Monitor fade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stumbled across your forum last night while I was trying to come up with a solution to my problem. I hope some of you might be able to help me out.

I picked up a 17" Opitquest Q71 monitor (Made by SonicView) for $15. It appears to be almost brand new, in that it is not even the least bit dusty, and it works great, with one exception. It will intermittently dim or darken. With a gentle 'tap' to the side it will brighten back up. It may stay that way for the rest of a session, or it may dim again in a few minutes. What do you think? Does this sound like something simple?

Thank in advance for any suggestions.......

Well I hate to be pessimistic but that doesn't sound real good. It may be nothing serious though, I've had monitors with some quirks that a quick blow to the side fixes that are still working. And hey for $15 you can't beat that.
Some people in here might have the knowledge/expiertise to help you. Just keep doing what you are doing until you get a more valid suggestion, but what you are doing I don't see doing any real damage to it (just don't hit it real hard).

Open it up, switch it on, then using an insulated screwdriver (or rather a plastic chopstick) start gently poking various bits. There must be a loose contact somewhere, probably the ring at the end of the CRT-tube. Careful, there is very high voltage there!
Once you are able to locate/re-create the fading, a bit of glue might just do the trick.

:wave: Hello and Welcom to TechSpot :wave:

Enjoy your stay!

Originally posted by realblackstuff
Open it up, switch it on, then using an insulated screwdriver (or rather a plastic chopstick) start gently poking various bits. There must be a loose contact somewhere, probably the ring at the end of the CRT-tube. Careful, there is very high voltage there!
Once you are able to locate/re-create the fading, a bit of glue might just do the trick.

It's enough, if you're unlucky to kill you!

I would do it the opposite way... Unplug the monitor, let it say unplugged from the electricity for a couple of days (or more), as that'll remove some of the charge left in the capacitators, and then open it up...

Still use an insulated screewdriver or a plastic chopstick, and check the none of the cables are coming loose...
If you find anyone coming loose, which you can connect yourself, do it, but be very careful...

If you cannot connect them yourself, contact a local tv-repairshop and ask what they'll take to reconnect a wire. Might just be cheap enough to be worth it imo...

I think the most important thing here is your personal safety. Dont' attempt this if you are even thinking twice about it. It can be very dangerous. But it does sound like a simple loose connection that gets replaced when you hit the monitor. As long as hitting the side fixes it, I would continue to do this, unless you want to take the chance at hurting yourself, or losing the monitor by frying something.

DO NOT attempt that unless you know what you are doing. I have a tool I use to discharge the flyback on CRTs(basically a screwdriver with a ground clamp attached to it). They can store power for up to a month in some cases(though usually a week or so)
There are a couple of places that store voltage, but the main one to be careful of is the flyback, this is the component with the large cable that runs to a rubber boot that is attached to the picture tube. This should be discharged by someone who knows what they are doing before you go mucking around in there.
TV and monitor repair should NEVER be undertaken by a novice. Most of the troubleshooting will require live circuit testing in order to find the fault.
You should never "poke around" in the back of a TV or monitor with anything if you don't know what you are "poking"

Thanks to all for your responses. In a former life I was an electronic technician for 12 years, so I'm not completely lost when it comes to such things. However, that former life was about 15 years ago, and I've :zzz: alot since then.

Hehe, If you feel you can do it, then by all means give it a shot, we have shown you some consequences that could arise. But for a 15 dollar monitor you might as well not worry about it, and just get another one.

I had the same problem with my monitor. Thought it was burning out or something. Turned out my motherboard and videocard were frying. I use the same monitor now with my new pc and it works great! Maybe this will help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back