TechSpot

1. TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

monitor flickers

By SornyPanafonic ยท 5 replies
Apr 27, 2004
  1. hey my monitor for some time now flickers on its right side or my left (facing it). the other corner is fine just about 2/3 of the screen has some flicker or vibration. i figure its my NEC 75F monitor crapping out on me, but i might as well run it by you guys and see if anyone knows how to fix it. right now my refresh rates are hor - 48 ver - 60. my monitor doesnt support much (highest res is only 1024). come to think of it it only comes about when its been left on for long periods of time but i do have standby enabled and a screensaver - why isnt it saving my screen??!!! waaaah... anyhoot thanks for any ideas.

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,715   +397

Vertical of 60Hz is pretty bad. I can see flicker at that very very obviously. See if you can bump that to at least 72, and hopefully 75+. As far as it being only on 1 side I'm not sure, or why it happens later. But I assure you 60 will flicker to most people, so see if you can bump that up a bit.

3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Screen saver doesn't save your screen as well as powering off the monitor. Disable the screensaver and set the monitor power off delay to 5 minutes in power management.

On old monitors you can sometimes see the outlines of the application that has been running on the monitor for years. This is whay you have a screen saver: you prevent a static image from being "burned" into the screen. If you really want to save your monitor, use the power management features.

4. Masque

Masque TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,058

Just out of curiousity, have you degaussed your monitor? You should have the option someplace on the monitor controls. It will disperse any magnetic build-up that has taken place on your monitor over time.

5. SornyPanafonic

SornyPanafonic TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 129

i deguase it all the time. i figured it out tho - its my tv. my tv is located a foot to the left of my monitor and whenever i would put my tv on video the left side of my monitor would flicker. just noticed the other day. all is well.

:D

6. schizoid77

schizoid77 TS Rookie Posts: 113

The same thing just happened to me last night. Just the right side of my screen was like, shaking/vibrating, it was freakin' annoying...I thought it was the monitor crappin out on me.
    But I have a fan (a Vornado, which rules) that I just moved a little closer to my computer, about 3 feet away actually, and after awhile, I just turned the fan off and noticed the shaking stopped.

No matter where I plug the fan in, I can hear my woofer pop, but the shaking only occurs when the fan is close to the monitor.
    I guess I am overloading my sockets...but that's an easy fix.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.