Monitor goes into standby and computer freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe a few weeks ago my computer started acting up on me. My monitor would go into standby and my computer freezes up on me. I have to hold the power button to get it back running again. I took it to geeksquad and they said it was a softwear issuse and i had to destructive reconfig my computer. I just did that and i still have the problem it will stay on for maybe 20 mins if im lucky.

Can anyone help me before i take it back to them.

What is your computer? Make, model, amount of memory, processor speed/ type, hard drive size?

What is "destructive reconfig"? Did you reformat the hard drive and reinstall XP fresh? Or did you repair the installed version of XP?

This does not sound like software to me - more like a heat issue or fat caps?
1) Download and run everest from www.majorgeeks.com - check your fans are running and that the CPU temp is OK
2) Have a visual inspection of the motherboard - you will see some little cylinders on end all over the place. Look at the ones near the CPU and if there are any which had bulged or have discolouration = thats the problem.

Sorry guys i havent posted back but yes right after i posted i checked my video card and i found out the fan was busted and overheating. A few capactors busted and yea thanks for the responses though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back