Monitor Interference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMDIsTheBest010

hey everybody:

My eMachines 17f3 monitor has been acting very strange lately, and i didnt know if interference from a TV was the culprit. the last few dyas, the monitor has been distorting to the point where i cannot get the edges to line up correctly. like the top will be strait, but he sides, will go strait then get curvy, and like the scrollbar in windows, dissapears under the edge. i just recently moved furniture in my room, and now the TV is sitting right next to the monitor. so i ask, could this be the problem? the TV is an Insignia 20" flat screen, not an LCD but a regular Flat Screen tube TV. before, i had the computer on one side of the room, and the tv on the other side. i just wanted to know if this may be the problem, before i return the monitor to bestbuy.

thanks,
AMD

It might be. Before going through the trouble of taking it back, can you temporarily move the PC and/or monitor away from the tv to test it?

Does the monitor have adjustments for geometry or are these maxed out and still wont yield a square/normal picture?

I'd also check other devices. I've got a Samsung CRT that can do this and it's more related to other electronic devices on the same circuit. I've had to move it's power to another circuit (i.e. outlet on a different breaker) as the interference, even through a good surge protector, causes it's display to shake/distort.

yea, i've messed around with the geometry, pincushion, trapazoid, parralelogram, every setting this stupid thing has. and i've reset it to factory conditions using he reset option, and it isnt set to the waay it was when i first bought it. its plugged into a surge strip, the only other things plugged into the surge strip are:

1. monitor
2. desktop (emachines T3882)
3. desktop speakers that came with desktop
4. HP PSC1510 printer

thanks for any help
...AMD

just unplug the TV. boot the PC and it has to be ok or adjustable to a
satisfactory viewing condition. if not, your monitor or video card are in trouble!

Both tv's and monitors use electromagnets to channel the flow of electrons and the magnetic fields radiate outwards as well as inwards. Having them too close together is a very bad idea and can cause permanent damage. Its possible however, that in time the monitor will recover provided the tv is at least 2 feet away. Unshielded speakers also give out a lot of electromagnetic interference and it could well be a combination.

Just unplugging the tv and trying the monitor wont be enough, you must seperate them.

I used to have a tv right above my computer desk with an emachines computer and a kds crt mointer which came with the emachines. And I had zero problems. And this mointer you have is it crt or lcd. Im taking it as crt? Since lcd auto postions it and since lcd doesnt have a tube in it you can stick a magnet right up to it and it doesnt do anything

No offense, but rather than asking all this - just seperate them for a while... Wouldn't that be much simpler?

Regards,

Korrupt

I have a emachines CRT given to me from a friend, and in 1280x960, the edges don't line well up at all. I would say it's the moniter going out.

i moved the tv to the other side of the room, and now everything lines up fine except for the very bottom corners, but i can live with that.

...AMD

Did you try to degauss the monitor? You said you played with the settings and named them but never mentioned degauss.

CRT monitors and their computers, and CRT TV's don't mix if placed too close to eachother. CRT monitors and CRT TV's have automatic degaussing circuits, but they only operate for 5 or so seconds after the TV or monitor is turned on cold. This doesn't apply to LCD or Plasma TV's or Monitors. If the Emachines monitor is moved away from the TV and allowed to stay off for a few hours or over night, just turn on the monitor and it should be ok. Watch out for analog clocks too close to CRT monitors or TV's

I have that same monitor, and i cant get it to look right at 1280x1024. What res are you trying to use.

If your monitors have been running fine, then one day this sort of distortion happens, this may mean that the monitors electronics might be failing. If a certain resolution causes this distortion and you can get it to display correctly in another resolution, this means that you may be exceeding the monitors specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back