Monitor is regularly losing signal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I'm having some issues with my monitor losing the signal, and I cant figure it out for the life of me. Here's what's going on. Today I downloaded two Windows updates, Security fix for IE 8 and the fix for visual C++ 2005 service pack. After those downloaded, but before they installed, my monitor cut out. It's happened a few times before and a simple restart fixes it, but not this time. The updates installed after the restart, then it cut out again. I then went to get current drivers for my video card but that did not help. I went into the the control panel, to the list of downloaded updates thinking that they might have something to do with my issue, but only the security fix for IE8 was listed and not the other. However, Windows update says I have both. Odd. I was thinking that the C++ update was the cause of this, but I cant find it to uninstall it. The other thing I noticed is when my monitor cuts out. The longer my pc is off, the longer I have to try and figure it out and vise versa. I popped open the side panel and my video card looks fine and the cooling fan on it still works. I'm at a loss here.
As for my pc, its an E-Machines w3615 with 2gb of ram, Intel Pentium 4 3ghz processor and Vista 32. My video card is a GeForce 7900gs. I'm sorry about the wall of text, but I'm trying to be thorough as possible. Thanks in advance for the help.

Better to know now than later.
Your computer is likely on a typical eMachines failure loop.
If the monitor is 17 months or older, it is failing or has failed. The eMachines W3615 from Wal-Mart has a motherboard that curls slightly as it ages and components start to twist and break circuits which then, and take the power supply with them. Take a look at the second largest chip on the board... as it will typically loosen... then bad things start to happen.
Your video card, CPU, modem, memory, optical drives and hard drives are likely OK... but you may expect trouble on the motherboard which then may affect the power supply.
When you added the GeForce 7900gs, did you install a more powerful power supply and replace the eMachines stock unit?
The first thing to do is save all valuable data... as you do not know if this is the problem commonly experienced, but if it is, you will not have much time to make sure everything is safe.

Thank you for the help and the info about that lovely issue pertaining to my pc model. I didn't upgrade the power supply when I put in the Geforce. I didn't even think about that. I put the video card in about two years ago and never had any problems until yesterday. I popped open the panel again to check for any warping to the motherboard and didn't notice anything, nor was anything on it loose. The only thing I did notice, however, was discoloration near where the screws on the motherboard and some near my video card, on the dvi output. When I started it up this morning, and again just now, when windows is loading the screen cuts out for a few seconds and comes back on again in rapid succession. It does this about 4 times total.
So is the motherboard still the likely culprit, and if so, any suggestions on a replacement?

Thank you for taking the time to update us.
The board warping and cracks are not easily visible. You need a very good magnifying glass with special lighting.
There are few boards that will work easily. We will check which remain available, and get back to you. You may have to setting for one of the Intel, Foxconn, MSI, or gigabyte boards on ebay that have the same socket.
You are likely better off, just upgrading to a new case and board with power supply which you can get for the same money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back