TechSpot

Monitor Keeps Sleeping

By Prince Jimmy
May 20, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Hey,
    So I finally got around to building my first PC. I changed a few parts from my original build plans and I am not sure if it was for the better or worse but the issue is not whether I built a good PC or not.

When I cut on my computer and plug in the monitor, I read that you should get a sort of beep and some blue screen the first time you cut on your PC, however the only thing that happens with me is a message that the monitor is going into sleep mode, then it proceeds to go black. I tried plugging the VGA into the mobo port but that actually made the computer say I had no VGA cable at all.

The graphics card, a Radeon R7 260X, is compatiable with my mobo, ASRock 960 GM/U3S3 FX

Any idea what the issue is here and how I can fix it?

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,440   +220

Is the PCI-E plug from the power supply plugged into the graphics card?

3. Prince Jimmy

Prince Jimmy TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes, the graphics card is is plugged in fine, I can see the fan moving on it.

4. mailpup

Just to be clear, your graphics card has an external plug that requires a separate connection to the power supply. Just because the fan is working doesn't mean it's plugged in. The graphics card receives power from two sources, this PCI-E plug and the PCI-E slot. It needs both to work properly.

5. Prince Jimmy

Prince Jimmy TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes it has external plug and yes its all plugged in.

Do to recent alterations though I have finally got some progress. When I cut on my PC and have it plugged into the mobo VGA port, without my graphics card or hard drive, it gives out a series of beeps. From my understanding it is because of either the RAM or CPU. Both are new so I am left to believe it is an outdated BIOS that can be solved by getting a lower memory RAM and updating the BIOS to accommodate the large amount of RAM. Also my mobo is dual channel. Does my information sound correct?

6. mailpup

I'm not sure. How much RAM do you have and what are its specifications?

What power supply are you using?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.