Monitor not responding to computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseM

I was playing a game and my computer froze. Absolutely nothing was responding, so I shut off the computer by holding down the power button. When I turned it back on, everything was perfectly fine except that the monitor appeared as though it wasn't plugged into the computer. The fan on the graphics card is still spinning. Any ideas? Thanks!

Thanks for your quick reply, but I tried all I could using your instructions and nothing helped. However, I tried plugging my monitor in via VGA cable (I had been using DVI) and to my suprise the monitor worked when booted in safe mode. The screen is now green and all messed up, so I think it has something to do with my graphics card. I also got a message when I logged on.

"Check for NVIDIA Graphics Driver Updates

This problem was caused by NVIDIA Graphics Driver, which was created by NVIDIA Corporation. There is no solution for this problem at this time."

Is my graphics card shot?

You could try reseating the addon graphics card (note I have no information about your computer specs)
Or if you have onboard graphics test with that
You could also try updating your graphics drivers, but I believe the DVI plug should still work even if the drivers were out.
Yes it could be faulty Video card, but try the above first

Please put your System Specs information in your Profile

My computer specs are in my profile. I am using a GeForce 7600 GT. I have tried reseating the card with no luck. Later today I will try booting my computer with an older graphics card to see if it works. I am pretty sure at this point that it is a toasted card, but it confuses me why it would only work (although marginally) with VGA cable and in safe mode. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

I had the exact same problem so I assumed my N8800gt died.I unplugged the whole thing and took it to shop,they plugged in everything so they could see what I was talking about and low and behold everything was fine;I set it up at home and everything has been fine since.What can I say! try unplugging from the wall .

I just tried booting using onboard graphics and it worked just fine. So, I can see no other option but to replace my graphics card. Can anyone recommend a card that has got good bang for the buck? I prefer Nvidia over ATI.

Regarding Your System Specs

My computer specs are in my profile.

Please put your System Specs information in your Profile

If you have a proprietory computer like Dell; HP; Acer etc, please manually write this in the mobo field (ie Dell Dimension 3100 - as an example)

This part I believe is the issue

Please click on Yes in your Profile To this question:
Would you like to show other members your computer specs? Default is (NO) This will be displayed in your posts via a drop down menu for other members to view. Add your system specs in your usercp Edit options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back