Monitor not turning on.. Video card problem??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, the power went out in my house, and when it came back on my computer wouldn't start up, or rather, my monitor wouldn't. So I'd turn the computer on and the monitor light would just stay orange. I thought my monitor just bit the dust, it's pretty old, but, I tried on a new one, and it did the same thing. I turned the pc on and off one or two times, and it started up and ran fine (or so I thought), but a few hours later while I was doin' stuff, the monitor light flicked orange, and the screen went black.
I'm assuming that my video card died, but honestly, I don't know very much about hardware... So I'm asking for advice? If it is actually the video card, don't I need to um, be able to see what I'm doing to install a new one? I don't know, gah!

it would be great if u would give us the specs of your computer and at least what video card u have.

Basically you are losing the signal from the PC to your monitor. Yeah, your card could be on the way out. Something is quitting. I would disassemble the machine, visually check all parts. Put it back together and try it. (Make sure you remove all dust and dirt). It would help to know your PC's specs. Is it worth buying components for?

Okay, well I have an emachine h3065
2.167GHz AMD Athlon XP 3000+
160gb harddrive
512mb DDR SDRAM
Nvidia GeForce4 MX integrated..
and uh I dunno, what else, I really don't know much about hardware..

I just tested a new video card, and my monitor still doesn't work. So I tested it on an older computer, and it worked just fine, so it works, just not in my messed up computer.
My sister took out her harddrive and put it in my messed up computer, and the monitor still wouldn't come on (with the new video card, or without it.)
The new video card is an ati radeon 9250, and I was told it was compatible with my computer..
So I really don't have any idea what the problem could be, I thought it was just the video card.. any ideas?

Video drivers.
Any Video card is compatible if the mbd has a slot for it.
But you have internal,is that right ? If you use a 9250 then disable it.
Can you get to the bios ? Can you boot to Windows ?
Did you connect it to the internal by mistake ? After installing the 9250 ?
Go to ATI and get the latest driver only download.
Read the details about not useing
The Catalyst Control Panel.My X1650 is Ok without it.
Name the type and name of Monitor.

I don't know how to get to bios? But, I don't know if windows is booting properly, since I have no screen. I didn't connect it to the internal, I connected it directly to the 9250. I have the install disc for the 9250, but with no screen, I can't install anything..

That only leaves 1 problem to test

Your monitor is shot.Try another borrowed one or one you know works if you can,before,
Spending money on a new monitor.till your sure it's shot.
Is it very old ?
They do wear out.
The recyclers get hundreds every day.They can't be repaired.

My monitor isn't dead though, I have the same problem with every monitor I've tried (tried three different ones).. so I guess it's not a video card problem then, eh?

The motherboard might be the culprit, try interchanging as many parts as you can to help isolate the problem, including RAM, etc...

Maybe Video card

deebo said:
My monitor isn't dead though, I have the same problem with every monitor I've tried (tried three different ones).. so I guess it's not a video card problem then, eh?
You say you just bought it,so get an exchange.It's warranted.
Otherwise nothing else can't be checked if the monitor isn't useable.
Do all you can,before spending money.I can guess the mbd since
that happened to me and i got a new one for my current cpu.
The video worked then.
A new mbd requires an experienced user to replace.
So theres no point in suggesting anything else till you can access the bios
and boot to Windows.

sounds like you losing power has zapped a component in your pc, OOPS! did you have it hooked up to a surge protector? check your psu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back