Monitor Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put together my own computer for the first time. I hooked it all up, and I turned it on and nothing happened on the monitor, although the computer turned on fine. All I get is an orange light. Here is my motherboard and graphics card:

Mobo: Foxconn NF4SK8AA-8KRS Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813186059

Vid card: ASUS EN6200TC256/TD/64M GeForce 6200TC supporting 256MB(64MB on board ) 64-bit DDR PCI Express x16

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814121193

HELP ME! I am really dissapointed and I need this computer. I spent a lot of money. Thanks for any who can help.

Have you made sure ALL power plugs are fitted to mobo and gfx card (if it has a power socket)!!!!

You could also try clearing the cmos, your mobo manual will tell you how to do it!!!!

Thanks for the advice, but all the plugs are in securely and my graphics card doesn't require a power plug. What is the cmos and what would clearing it do? Thanks for any help.

Are you using a cheap power supply like the ones that usually come with cases? If so, perhaps yours is basically DOA. It wouldn't be the first time.

I am using the PSU that came with the case. It's 450W. So do you think that's the problem and I should buy a new one?

It's hard to say for certain if you need a new power supply from where I'm sitting but you might. That said, replacing the power supply is easy enough. Unplug the power supply, disconnect all the component connectors and remove the four screws holding it to the back of the case. That should be it.

There's one thing that Rik mentioned that I would like to double check. Your motherboard has two auxilliary power connectors besides the large 24 pin power connector. Are these connected to the power supply?

Monitor displaying blank screen

Hello Everybody:

My COMPAQ brand computer was working fine for about a year long until this sudden message has come to screen saying
"Not Optimum Mode Recommended mode 1024 X 768 60 Hz".

I checked the System Unit; everything is working fine (the BIOS checks the components – the keyboard lights lit, it tries to boot from CD, the hard disk loads the OS) except the display to screen! The flat screen LCD monitor power light becomes green with that message being displayed at first but after a few seconds it becomes orange and no message at all.

At first I thought the problem was with the video card so I checked it by adding a PCI video card which was working in another computer, but there was no change the message was still the same except the “1024 X 768” changed to “1028 X 864” .

The name of the flat panel LCD Monitor is:

Samsung SyncMaster 710M
Model Code: GS17MSSS
Color Display Unit Type No: GH17MS
AC 100-240V ~ 50/60 Hz 0.7A
S/N: GS17HVEY400963H

I guess the problem is with the screen resolution. How can I get access to the computer and change the screen resolution is the problem. I am very much worried about my computer. If anybody has any idea, I would be very much pleased to read it!

I'm in need of an immediate help, please.
Thank you.

...I might be a little late with this since I see that the posts here are a few weeks old but incase anyone else has these problems and ends up here I have a couple suggestions.
To the original poster toole13: I havn't checked the links you provided but I assume since most motherboards these days have built in displays on them that this may be the cause of your problems. If your motherboard has a onboard graphics display (look for a vga port near the mouse/keyboard ports on the back of your system box) try hooking your monitor to that. If it works then you need to go into your bios and change your display from onboard to pci/agp. I have a feeling that this is your issue. Since cmos only holds the most generic of info for hardware to get the computer far enough to load windows I don't think clearing the cmos will help, but I could be wrong :). I would only clear the cmos as an absolute last resort. Even if this fixes your problem you may want to concider replacing the psu anyway. Crappy psu's can possibly malfunction and sent rotten currents and break your hardware.

Mickeymouse: A lot of the newer lcd's have resolution and resfresh rate options inside the monitors OSD (on screen display). I would see if you can mess with somthing there first. Second, if that doesn't appear to be the issue or if you don't have those options in your monitor OSD then I suggest trying to think of anything you may have done just before that message started to appear, I'm thinking specifically of driver updates or maybe a windows update. You may be able to get inside windows by going in through safe mode: start your computer and mash F8 untill you get some options about how to start windows. Try safe mode. If you still can't get in then try the last known good configuration option. If you can get in, in safe mode install the newest drivers for your video card and restart. If the problem persists go into safe mode again and remove your video card from the device manager list through your control pannel. You may want to have a windows disk or your video card disk ready for when/if it asks you for drivers. If your using the onboard video feed which most major computer manufacturers use today, I would try getting the drivers from ati or nvidia if you can. Most likely you can get the original drivers and updated drivers through the compaq site if you don't know the graphics chipset.

I maybe to late for you guys but I hope this comes of some help

Tubby3120, your input is apreciated!!!!

I would however like to point out a couple of things!!!!

First, most motherboards do NOT have built in graphics cards these days!!!!
Unless of course you are referring to prebuilt pc's like emachine and compaq for example!!!!

Second, you would be surprised just how often clearing the cmos can start up a pc that has problems!!!!

I will say that its great that you took all that time to type all that information in order to help others!!!!:)

I've had bad experiences with cmos so I tend to avoid it at all costs lol ;) And now that I look at the mobo I see it doesn't have onboard and the problem may lie in the cmos. It's a good thing I can admit when I'm wrong ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back