Monitor not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolJBAD

Hey, i recently re-greased my heatsink, now my monitor doesn't get a signal. My mouse and keyboard don't work either. I don't think the hard drive is getting a signal either. The CD and DVD players light up, but there is no other noise, like a beep that used to be there.

It sounds like the beep you were getting is the POST (power on self test) beep. You have clearly disturbed something so inspect the motherboard carefully to make sure you have all the power supply cables connected (usually 2) and have not left off the power for the fan.

imma check, but the fans are working and it runs, just no signal to anything other than the CD and DVD drives

The fans might run if you only have one of the two connectors in place. There should be a big one either 20 or 24 pins plus another with 4 pins.
Check you have both in place.

we are going the right way - now we know the problem relates to a connection to the main board and it is something that worked up until you took off the CPU. The following assumes that you have not damaged the CPU and the the socket/chip connection pins are all in perfect condition.
Please confirm that you have both the main power leads from the PSU connected to the m/board.
Disconnect everything else including the connections to the front panel. <ake a note where it all reconnects if you are not sure. Take out all cards and the memory. Leave the speaker if connected by cable.
Does it boot and if so you should get a string of beeps. Power off. If no beeps you may have a bad PSU - either use a proper tester or try another PSU.
Refit the memory - reboot and you should get a different set of beeps. Power off.
Refit the graphics card - now you should get 1 beep. Power off and reconnect one piece at a time until you find what stops it.
Tell us how you get on. I will be on line for another hour or so.

I may have damaged the CPU pins, I think I bent one, but i straighted it out before reseating it. I checked the PSU's little green light in the back is blinking very dimly.

If you are very careful you can realign the pins using something like the edge of a credit card. You should take it out and have a look at all the pins and make sure they are all true and none are flat. This could cause exactly the problems you described to start with.
When working on the chassis, turn off the mains at the wall socket but leave it connected - this will maintain the earth connection to prevent static.

hey, i checked, when not plugged into a motherboard, my psu's light goes on, once I connect, it becomes very dim and flashes *I checked with another computer I came that doesn't have a PSU*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back