Monitor only turns on using Analog cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBN

I have just bought a new card for my pc. Its an XFX 7900GS 256MB (PCI EXPRESS)

It has two DVI outputs. My monitor has both analog and DVI connections

When I connect my new card via the DVI cable, my monitor doesn't turn on.

However when I use the monitor analog cable and use the dvi to analog converter my monitor works fine.

Previously I had an NVIDIA 6200TC card and it was connected to my monitor via a dvi cable with no problems

EDIT: I have connected the monitor to my other computer which has an NVIDIA 6600 256MB via a DVI cable and it works with that computer too.

Is the problem the Monitor or the Card?

Well if it works with another DVI card then it likely isn't the monitor. Will the monitor litterally not turn on (as in, no power light, no nothing) or will it simply not recieve signal or display something?

What about ur resolution? maybe is too high for the dvi or for the monitor on dvi connection O.o? it really sounds weird

Lessons from History.

I don't know. I have doubts on the monitor.

Previously I had a cheap 17" that would only work via the dvi to analog converter. If I connect it via analog it wouldn't turn on. Only via the dvi to analog converter and that being connected to the dvi port on the Nvidia 6600 card it would turn on.

When I bought a new monitor, the new monitor worked via the standard analog connection straight to the analog connection the back of the card.....

Now with my other PC and the 7900GS, I suspect its the Monitor. However I don't have a monitor with just a dvi port only to test my hypothesis!!!

Update on situation: New Information.

I decided to plug the monitor via dvi only and see if I could mess about with ot to get it working. What i found is that when my computer boots into windows the Monitor turns on and works fine!!!

So I cant see the BIOS screen, it only works when my computer starts into windows the amber light turns green and the monitor begins to show images.

To get to this stage I had to use the analog cable and a dvi to analog converter and install the Nvidia drivers first.

Guys I need some help here, its driving me a crazy. I don't know whether its the card or the monitor still

It could possibly be monitor, its not like your nvidia card or something,

Also could be a screen rez , refresh problem,

also if you think its drivers possibly,,

Go into safe mode and run driver cleaner pro ,, remove nvidia,, reboot pc, and see if picture comes up ,

Then install latest forceware drivers, This could be a driver issue,

Happy Ending!

Hi there,

The problem all along was the card. It turns out that the card was faulty. I managed to get another XFX 7900GS and the card works fine. The peeps at XFX were great with the support in my case.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back