Monitor problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

Monitor problems

I have inherited a “hand me down” 75 MHz , 64 megs of RAM computer with a "Touch" monitor. The system was "up and running" a couple of months ago before I brought it home. Now I have started up and having the following problem.

I get the Windows 98 "start up" splash screen and then as it starts to load the screen becomes illegible. Once it's booted up I can press the control plus escape key then the "U" key and it will shut down normally.

During shut down, the Windows 98 "shut down" screen appears and then the "OK to shut down" phrase comes up.

I didn't get any software with the system.

Any ideas on how to correct the problem?

I'm trying to set it up for a newbie.

If you're able to you may want to test the monitor with another PC so as to rule out that that really is the problem. If there's a degauss button on the monitor you could try that too see if it has any effect.

Monitor problems - no drivers

Ok, I'm up in Safe Mode and I do remember that the previous owner was using another monitor.

The monitor is a Touch #CAD14MG. I am unable to find any drivers on the "driver" websites.

What know?

Same problem on another monitor.

Are you seeing a garbled up mess on the screen? Is it just a bunch of blotchy colors and stuff? If this is what you are seeing, I would check the display drivers. If you've changed the monitor and it still has the same problem, it is most definately a display adapter problem, probably the drivers but possibly the card. Check the drivers first.

What Video Card do you have in that machine?

Da!

I went to Device Mgr and updated the driver and "low and behold" we're good to go.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back