Monitor problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

neowing

Hello ?
Recently, I have a little problem with my monitor.
When I turned on the monitor, I can see display a little and suddenly it became dark. But if I turned on the switch of the monitor several time with using mouse to "Turn Off Computer" hit in the "Start" Menu. Next, I moved Mouse several time with "Monitor turned on and off" several time. It will show display.

What is wrong with my monitor ?
Could you help me ?

Hard to say whether it is the monitor or the video card, based on what you describe.
Try booting in Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key repeatedly after you turn on the computer. Do you see anything in Safe Mode?
What brand is the monitor? How long have you been using it?

raybay said:
Hard to say whether it is the monitor or the video card, based on what you describe.
Try booting in Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key repeatedly after you turn on the computer. Do you see anything in Safe Mode?
What brand is the monitor? How long have you been using it?

1) I already used Safe Mode when I thought it was spyware problem: I used the same method as the first topic: Turned on/off several time and Several Mouse moves only. Then somehow I can see screen again.

2) The monitor is 18 LCD Flat Panel Display Analog/Digital (FPD1830). I bought it in 2002. It was Gateway 700x.

Based on the model and age, I would suggest your monitor has reached the end of its useful product life. Time to buy another. Luckily, they are very inexpensive nowadays.

Dar raybay,

Could you tell me how do I check statue of Monitor and Graphic Card.

My graphic card is NVidia 7900GS from ASUS.

Also, If you suggested me to buy other monitor: tell me which company is good and how big is good for me.

Budget might be $150-$200.

The technology of flat panel screens is changing very rapidly.
We like LG, Samsung, Dell (Samsung), Gateway (Samsung), HP, Apple, NEC, Phillips, Sony, and Sharp in most configurations.
We dislike ViewSonic, Envision, KDS, Optiquest, Westinghouse, amptron, Hanns, Sceptre, Acer, Megavision V7, VideoSeven, X2Gen, BenQ, and Planar.
It is important, methinks, to see the monitor in person before you buy, and do not buy online until you do.
Look at the frame that holds it. A good monitor can be adjusted up and down, and side to side.
Viewing a monitor from the far left or far right will teach you a log about quality. Look at them while showing images that are very bright, and very dark. Also look at them showing rapidly moving images, and movies.
Any decent monitor will have a three year warranty now... as many terrible ones fail after 18-24 months... Some of the better ones now have a five-year warranty.

Thank you for replying.

However, could anyone know How do I check the monitor's statues ? I mean How do I check if monitor is bad or not ? Is there software that can check the statue of the monitor ?

You check it by plugging it into a desktop computer on which other monitors work. There are shop devices that check various outputs, but they are not for the novice.
When a video graphics connection, whether onboard, or on a video graphics card is known to be working, you plug the unknown monitor in then wait. It should come on within 40 to 90 seconds. You then leave it on for two hours to see if the color or contrast changes anywhere on the screen.
Usually, LCD or flat panel monitors fail all at once. CRT monitors will begin to fail slowly with changes in color on one side or the other, or waves and streaks of color. But even a CRT monitor can fail all of a sudden. Many monitors fail when turned back on. They may work fine one day, then when turned on the next morning, nothing.
You can often tell a bad monitor by an odor it emits which may sound like burning plastic or burnt metal. But most do not have any odor at all.
When you have a monitor that doesn't work, moving it to a different computer where it still does not put a strong image on the screen is the final test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back