Monitor: Samsung vs. Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I am interested in purchasing a new LCD display (used primarily for gaming). I looked up "The Beast" in the pc powerplay magazine, and found they recommended the monitor: Samsung 930BF 19" 4ms LCD.
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LCD_Digital/LS19BIDKBVXAA.asp

I went to the store asking for the monitor, and the sale attendant said it was good, but also suggested this monitor: Sony SDMHS95PS 19" 12ms LCD. http://www.pcshopper.com.au/product.php?productid=45273&cat=429&page=1

I was wondering, since I am using the monitor primarily for gaming, which monitor would be better? The Sony monitor has a glossy finish, meaning the image it produces is sharper than the Samsung. However, the Sony has a lower response time of 12ms when compared to Samsung’s 4ms.

Would you notice much ghosting with the Sony’s 12ms response time? Is it justifiable to have a slower response time, but a crisper image? Any advice would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Maqqie

EDIT: I actually heard that Sony's response time is 8ms rather than 12ms. This is because Sony time their response time in REAL TIME, where'as Samsung do it internally in the pc itself. (In otherwords, if Sony were to time their monitors in the pc itself, their response time would be 8ms not 12ms).

FYI on CRT monitors

A while ago Samsung was virtually the only manufacturer of CRT computer monitors building their coveted Redball series monitor cores for all computer brands. Sony had their Trinitron brand name and applied it to computer monitors later on and grabbed some of the market share from Samsung. Both are good name brands but when it comes to know how, Samsung's been in the business of making monitors for many years and for reputable companies as well.

I have a Sony SDM-HS95P 19" LCD with 12ms response time. the picture quality is superb and I have seen no blurring or ghosting in movies or even fast action Games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back