Monitor shows "Out of Range"

Status
Not open for further replies.

krnstarrz

So, I accidentally clicked to make my resolution a certain size(I didn't see what i clicked), but all the sudden my monitor just shows "out of range"..

I've tried logging into safe mode and changing the resolution back to the smallest size and logging back on into normal mode, but it's still not working, what else could I do?

I tried looking at other threads but the video adapter mode doesn't have the same buttons and I don't know what I'm supposed to click on..

Can someone help me please?

While in safe mode you could try going to the Device Manager and uninstall the Display Adapters (including the secondary) and restart the PC. Just be sure you uninstall, not disable them. When you restart, Windows will reinstall the graphics driver, hopefully with a resolution that is within range.

If that doesn't work, you can always uninstall the graphics driver in Add or Remove Programs (again while in safe mode), restart and manually reinstall a new graphics driver. Have the driver on hand in advance.

Try removing the battery for 15 20 seconds (after you unplug). It will reset your bios to default where you should get the monitor back. Good Luck.

While in safe mode you could try going to the Device Manager and uninstall the Display Adapters (including the secondary) and restart the PC. Just be sure you uninstall, not disable them. When you restart, Windows will reinstall the graphics driver, hopefully with a resolution that is within range.

If that doesn't work, you can always uninstall the graphics driver in Add or Remove Programs (again while in safe mode), restart and manually reinstall a new graphics driver. Have the driver on hand in advance.

Okay, I've done and it works, but when I went to resize, I had this come up and I don't know which to choose

Here's a screenshot:

untitled.jpg

Thanks!

If you mean which screen resolution to choose, try 1024 by 768 pixels. That's always pretty safe.

The Out of Range error is usually repaired by going to Settings->Control Panel->Display->settings-> and selecting 1024 by 768, to begin with. The final settings will depend on your video graphics hardware and drivers, as well as the capabilities of the monitor. Low cost monitors can also be the problem, but failed video graphic drivers or Display settings are usually the culprits.
However, you may be frustrated since you cannot see the screen due to the Out of Range problem.
What might be helpful is to reboot in Safe Mode (easily done by repeatedly pressing the <F8> key once per second just as soon as you press the on button.

mailpup said:
If you mean which screen resolution to choose, try 1024 by 768 pixels. That's always pretty safe.

No I'm referring to if I use the 1st or secondary screen, does it make a difference?

Rebooting in safe mode, and deleting or uninstalling things to fix this problem was an extreme measure. You could (should) have choosen VGA mode from that same menu you picked Safe Mode out of. VGA mode's purpose is for situations like these. Now you know for next time at least.

As for picking the resolution, that depends on your monitor. There are common ones though:
17" 1024x768 or 1152x864
19" 1280x1024 or 960
19" Wide 1440x900
21" Wide 1680x1050
23+ Wide 1920x1600 I think

These are just typical values off the top of my head, you may have a monitor with different specs. Doesn't really matter, Windows is smart enough that if you pick a resolution that doesn't display, if you just wait 15 seconds without hitting anything it will go back to where it was prior. I'm a little confused how you would have even got stuck in a display mode you couldn't display, but I guess that really isn't the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back