Monitor sleep mode on restart

Status
Not open for further replies.
My system, including my monitor, works perfectly except when I have to restart. When I restart the cpu POSTs fine, but my monitor goes into sleep mode shortly after the restart. I say sleep mode because the green power light comes on momentarily and then goes to a blinking amber light. If I power down, then power back up, the system including the monitor will boot up just fine (although lately I may need to do this 2 or 3 or 5 times before the monitor will come out of sleep mode).
At first this was an annoyance because I had to do a hard restart anytime I needed to reboot. However, now I'm concerned that eventually my monitor will not respond.
Here are the things I've done to troubleshoot this problem:
1) New video card
2) New power supply (needed a new one anyway-fan was blown and was hardwired)
3) New monitor and cable ( I knew I didn't need a new one because I tried a spare monitor and it did the same thing, but I couldn't resist an excuse to buy a 19" flat panel :D )
4) checked all fan operations and replaced any fans that seemed slow.
System specs:
AMD Athlon 1.2G 256MB DDR SDRAM Gigabyte 7dx bios AURORA MOBO F1IA *new* Geforce FX 5200 video card running on W2K.

I have my power options set to "always on". I really don't think this is a hardware problem. I'm thinking it has something to do with a Bios setting or problem or some ACPI setting. This problem seemed to start when I installed some MS critical updates, but I can't be sure.
I'm at my wits end, and if anyone can help me with this not only would I be eternally grateful, I promise to name my next born after you.
Thanks in advance.

Look at the power management settings in BIOS, esp. video off method, enable/disable APM/ACPI. Also IRQ for VGA in PnP settings.

Here are my PM settings in BIOS:
ACPI SLEEP TYPE: S3
PME EVENT WAKEUP: ENABLED
USB DEV WAKEUP FROM S3: DISABLED
RESUME BY RTC ALARM: DISABLED

IRQ WAKEUP EVENTS:
3 COM2 ENABLED
4 COM1 "
5 LPT2 "
6 FLOPPY "
7 LPT1 "
8 RTC ALARM DISABLED
9 IRQ2 REDIR ENABLED
10 <RESERVED> ENABLED
11 <RESERVED> ENABLED <-----this is my video card irq
12 PS2 MOUSE ENABLED
13 COPROCESSOR ENABLED
14 HARD DISK ENABLED
15 <RESERVED> DISABLED

I'll admit most of this is greek to me....anything jump out that looks fishy to you?

I have my own machine set to allow Win2K to control Power management and disable power settings in the Bios .
Windows can handle the job well as it can ( not very well) But it is the lesser of two evils .
Bios power management and Windows power management together can cause lots of aggivating issues.

It's funny you should mention that...I just updated my BIOS and there are now a few more options in the Power Management section, although I'm not sure any will help with this problem:

In addition to settings I listed above:

suspend time out DISABLED
sort off by pbtn SUSPEND
system after AC back OFF
modem ring/wake on lan ENABLED
modem use IRQ N/A
vga OFF
pci master OFF

Also, in PNP/PCI settings all are set to auto.

I have all power management features disabled(bios).in my systems.I only allow monitors to shutoff in windows 1hr. and hdd 2hr.(controlled by Windows)

Having the SAME prob.

I am having this exact problem... At first i thought it was my monitor, so i replaced that, that didnt fix it so I got the best powersupply i could buy, still no go. I've tried using both my On-board video and my 9500 (Primary) and get same results with both.

BrazilianRogue said:
I am having this exact problem... At first i thought it was my monitor, so i replaced that, that didnt fix it so I got the best powersupply i could buy, still no go. I've tried using both my On-board video and my 9500 (Primary) and get same results with both.
Welcome to Techspot.
Have you tried the other troubleshooting mentioned above?

Thx for the warm welcome.

No i have not been able to attempt the suggested troubleshoot. Whats keeping me from it is simply that i was unnable to find a guide on how to do it. If one is posted i was unable to find it.
I would greatly appretiate it if someone/anyone could help me out with that.

im having this same problem. I was just wondering if anyone figured anything out about this so i can fix my computer.. right now i have my computer hooked up to my tv via s-video so i can actually kinda see what im doing, and i have to use the windows magnifier to see details... please somebody help... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back