Monitor "Struggles" to Receive Video?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXCellR8

Haven't posted on here in awhile, but I've run into a strange problem w/ my video setup recently and I'm looking for some help.

This started about a month ago, but appears to be getting worse and worse by the day. When I power on the computer, the monitor doesn't work correctly and will just keep flashing on and off almost as if it can't communicate w/ the video or something. It's very strange as the usual "NO SIGNAL" message is not present while this is happening...

Nothing is displayed at all (no post info or winxp load screen) but the OS does load while the video is falling on its face. Only after I turn off the monitor completely and then on again, after 30 or so seconds, does the video appear and I can log in. Once the computer is up and running, it's completely fine. I did see a BSOD though, but it vanished faster w/ a little video corruption before I could get a good look at it.

I am not experiencing any sudden video crashes while I am using the computer. I am only having the problem while the system is starting up. I did an uninstall of the video drivers a few hours ago and the video was fine during boot up w/o the driver installed. Once I reinstalled the new one, the problem persisted. I was going to try another monitor but this one works fine; there are no problems otherwise.

I apologize for the long post but I wanted to submit as much detailed info as possible. The video hardware I am currently using is below, thanks in advance for any help.

Video card(s): 2 Radeon HD4800s in CrossFire (disabled)
Mobo: Rampage Formula (X48)
PSU: Ultra X3-1000w

*I would like to add that this PSU runs both cards in CF just fine and the video has never crashed while both GPUs are working!*

"I was going to try another monitor but this one works fine; there are no problems otherwise"...

I would suggest trying another monitor to see if this startup behavior goes on to the 2nd monitor too

Sorry to bump this so far, but I've been busy and haven't been able to provide an update or proper response to this thread. I also don't feel like explaining the situation all over again. I haven't made a whole lot of progress, but I have some additional info...

Anyways, the only other monitor we have uses a VGA cable and I can't find an adapter to use for it. So, I still haven't been able to try another monitor yet but I've tried a few other things in the mean time. I removed the XFire bridges and swapped cables but that had no effect on the problem. I can still get the video to show up on the XP log on screen after being blind through the whole POST, OS selection, and XP/7 loading screens. Once the video appears on the XP login screen, the system is fine and I can go about my business.

However, I cannot get it to hold video during the Windows 7 startup... which I find rather strange. After I hear the little chime when 7 goes to login screen, I turn on the monitor and it cuts out right away. Sometimes I can see a little bit of a garbled screen before it cuts, but that hasn't happened in awhile. I don't really know what's going on there.

So basically, I'm stuck with a system that has NO VIDEO in the following areas:

bios
post message/drive check
os selection (XP and 7)
both os loading screens
windows 7 login screen

I can only get video after the XP loading screen has completed and I'm on the login screen; the video works absolutely perfectly from then on... games, videos, 3D apps in XP etc... other than that, the monitor just flashes on and off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back