Monitor switches off seconds after computer turns on- Please HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monitor switches off seconds after computer turns on

Hi,
Last night i returned to my computer and the screen was black (orange light) I then moved mouse and pressed keyboard and though the light changed to green the screen was still black.

I turned the machine off and started it up again- the monitor worked for first seconds then switches black (green light still on). I've tried this several times and the same thing occurs. I changed monitors and it still happens.

Does anyone know what is happening? How can i fix it? Please help!

CYPS

check your setup to see that all cables are properly and firmly attached.

what kind of computer is it? (be specific as possible) do you know of any recent changes that have occurred?

if your warranty is still valid, contact the manufacturer.

Thanks for your reply, I checked the cables again and made sure they were in properly. Turned it on and the same thing happened.

I'm not sure of the exact details of my comp, it was put together by a friend who is overseas for the next week :( I know the monitor is a Samsung Syncmaster 152T if that helps.

but yeh, still the same, after a few seconds of the screen working it goes black. :eek:

We had a Sony LCD burn out and display the exact same behavior. You have to isolate if your PC is even involved or if it's a power supply/backlit bulb issue or similar.

The way you test a Sony is to disconnect ALL cables except the power, power the monitor up and hit the Menu button to display the test pattern (it's a small box with some color bars with NO SIGNAL on the bottom since there are no cables connected). After a few seconds, this test pattern would also go black even though the green light on the LCD was on. So it was the LCD itself that was blown and nothing to do with the PC.

I'd see if your LCD has some sort of test pattern or test mode you can access in the menu's with no cables hooked up to see if it can hold that pattern for more than a few seconds before going blank. If not, it would be indicative of a burned-out or blown LCD rather than PC related.

Good luck

Hi did what you said and it all switches off. Maybe it is burnt out.
But then i wonder why when i hooked up the other monitor that went black too!??!

well, you can rule out the monitor, as the two displays yielded the same problem. it is possible that the power supply failed, a part overheated, or that the machine was hit by a power surge. is the computer hooked up to a grounded wall socket? has it got a decent surge supressor?

unless your warranty is still good (you didn't say one way or the other), open the case and look for damaged hardware. bulging/leaking capacitors, burn marks, look for stopped or clogged fans. let's hear some specs on that box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back