Monitor troubles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I got (that I think matters to my situation, anyways) –

Motherboard - ASUS P4S800
Videocard – ATI Radeon 9550 256mb

So. I just bought a new Codegen Briza-63-CA case and a Zalman CNPS7700-ALCU 92mm 2 Ball heatsink. I switched everything I had into my new case, and attached the new heatsink during the process. After I got everything connected and ready, everything powered up, except for the monitor. It says ‘no signal’. I was pissed. I still am.

To troubleshoot the problem, I took everything out of my case and tried to start everything while it was laying bare on a big piece of cardboard. No luck, so I don’t think this is a grounding issue. I also know my monitor works, as I tried it on my roommate’s computer. I don’t think it’s the videocard either, since I tried using his videocard in my motherboard as well, once again with no luck. I also reset the BIOS (or I think it’s the BIOS, anyways) by removing the battery from the motherboard and switching those jumpers around for a couple of seconds, then replacing everything.

THE ONLY changes that I made to my motherboard while I switched it into a new case was that I noticed that the jumper on my harddrive was sideways, so I just straight up removed it. My dad installed it way back when. I don’t think this would matter anyways. ALSO, I removed two jumpers that were on my front audio connection, as this new case I got had front audio connectors, and those jumpers were in the way. Once again, my dad put this together like 3 years ago, and has no idea if he put those there or if it came like that. Anyways, I don’t really think this would make any difference as well. I suppose the new heatsink is also something that I added, but I tried booting up the comp without it attached as well (is that a really dumb thing to do?), with no luck.

My AGP slot could be broken, but I like to think that is not the case. It doesn’t look like there has been any damage to my motherboard, either. It still almost looks brand new.

I’m running out of ideas here, guys. I could bring it to a local store where they say they would run a ‘diagnostic’ on it to see if anything was wrong with it for $30, but I don’t even know what that really is or what the procedure for that is, and I would rather try and talk to you guys first before I go out spending money. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Yes booting up your computer without the heatsink attached is a very dumb idea, lol, you could potentially fry your CPU, but i guess modern CPUs have a shutdown temperature so I think your CPU is fine.
BlueBomber said:
My AGP slot could be broken, but I like to think that is not the case.
When you borrowed your friend's video card, did you insert it into the same slot as you did for your 9550? If not, then try the same slot. Your AGP slot COULD be broken but it is unlikely since it doesn't seem like you tethered around with that too much.

BlueBomber said:
I don’t think it’s the videocard either, since I tried using his videocard in my motherboard as well
Having your friend's card work properly on your board doesn not say anything about your card. It just shows that your board and your friend's card is fine. Try to use your card on your friend's board and see if it works out fine. Your card could potentially be the problem.

Also, I agree with you that those jumpers shouldn't be the problem here, but just to confirm, I would put the jumpers back to where they were before and see if it works. I don't see how these jumpers can cause the problem you're having...

Tell us how it goes.

Does the 9550 require a direct connection to the power supply via 4 pin molex connector? and if it does is it connected?

What PSU are you using? if that codegen case came with a PSU and you are using it then that is probably the source of the problem. Codegen power supplies are absolute crap. When I built my first P4 system I use a case with a 300 watt codegen PSU and the system wouldnt even boot. found out it was only delivering 10A on the 12V rail!. plugged in an antec 330 Watt PSU and it booted right up.

iNoob said:
When you borrowed your friend's video card, did you insert it into the same slot as you did for your 9550? If not, then try the same slot. Your AGP slot COULD be broken but it is unlikely since it doesn't seem like you tethered around with that too much.

Having your friend's card work properly on your board doesn not say anything about your card. It just shows that your board and your friend's card is fine. Try to use your card on your friend's board and see if it works out fine. Your card could potentially be the problem.
I did insert his videocard into my AGP slot, and it still didn't work. I didn't try my card on his computer, because since his card didn't work on my computer but does on his, I figured that it wasn't a videocard issue. I will try my card on his computer later though, just to make sure.
iss said:
Does the 9550 require a direct connection to the power supply via 4 pin molex connector? and if it does is it connected?

What PSU are you using? if that codegen case came with a PSU and you are using it then that is probably the source of the problem. Codegen power supplies are absolute crap.
No, I took that out and replaced with my old Antec power supply. I read that Codegen power supplies were crap, and my old Antec one was still working fine, so I just swapped them. My videocard also dosen't require a direct connection to the power supply...

since yuo moved everything to a new case did you make sure everything is seated correctly? if the ram came even slightly loose it could cause the problem you are describing. ( or even one module going bad can too.)

I BELIEVE that everything is in there right...the ram stick is in there pretty tight, and dosen't wobble around or anything.

I have tried hooking up only the ram and videocard to the motherboard with nothing else, and have been having the same problem with no signal being detected...

WHen you hooked up only the ram and the video card did you get any beeps from the mobo?

Wow that was a fast reply. In all honesty...I don't know. I don't have an audio speaker for system beeps or anything. My old case did, but I forgot to swap those around, and it is back at home. Not here with me at school. There is a local computer store around here though, maybe I can go and buy one from there? I'm sure they are pretty cheap...right?

it should be pretty cheap. one I have is nothing more than the four pin connector and a tiny speaker. at any rate it would be helpful to know if you are getting beeps from the board as no beeps are bad news.

That will be the first thing on my to-do list tomorrow morning. Hell, right now I'm so frusterated, it feels like a higher priority then going to class!

OK.

I just went and picked up a PC speaker, and plugged her into my 20-pin system panel. When I switch on the computer, it makes 1 long beep (about 5 seconds), and then is silent for about 5 seconds, and then repeats. At least I’m getting SOME sound…

What’s weird is that I wasn't sure which way the speaker was supposed to be plugged in, so I put it in both right side up and upside down, while achieving the same sound results. When I put the speaker in upside down, I shouldn’t have heard any noise from the speaker, right?

Also...

I'm not even sure that I have all of the pins hooked up to the system panel correctly.

According to my motherboard manual, the system panel connector is layed out as such (please bare with the crappy diagram) –

20-Pin System Panel

01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

System Power LED Lead (3-1 pin PLED) – pins 01 & 03
System Warning Speaker Lead (4-Pin SPEAKER) – pins 07-10
System Management Interrupt Lead (2-pin SMI) – pins 14 & 15
ATX Power Switch Lead (2-pin PWRBTN) – pins 16 & 17
Reset Switch Lead (2-pin RESET) – pins 19 & 20
Hard Disk Activity Lead (2-pin IDE_LED) – pins 11 & 12

Now, my case didn’t come with all of these leads, with some just named differently (I think, anyways). My case has –

M/B SW, which I have been placing where the ATX Power Switch Lead is supposed to go
H.D.D. LED, which I assumed was the same thing as the Hard Disk Activity Lead
Power LED, where I place where the System Power LED Lead goes
RESET SW, where the Reset Switch Lead is supposed to go.

All of these different leads have 2 pins, and I’m not sure if I am even placing them in the system panel correctly…

Thanks for all of your help guys. I really do appreciate the suggestions and opinions you guys keep giving me.

I got my old PCI card and installed it, with the same problem. Does this mean it's not necaessarily an AGP/PCI slot issue? Everyone else I talk to insists it's something to do with it failing the POST check, and most likely something to do with my ram or the new heatsink I installed.

I called up ASUS's tech support, and he said the long beep means that it's not passing the POST check, which COULD mean a faulty AGP slot, but more likely because of something I did to my ram or CPU when I installed the new heatsink. He said that if you use too much thermal grease, it can act as an inductor (or conductor? I don't know my electronic terms too well), and that may be interfering with something on the motherboard. He suggested removing the thermal grease with some rubbing alcohol, and try all of my compnents (such as videocard, ram, etc.) on my buddies computer just to make sure they all still work.

Any other suggestions?

you booted without heatsink?
Yes booting up your computer without the heatsink attached is a very dumb idea, lol, you could potentially fry your CPU, but i guess modern CPUs have a shutdown temperature so I think your CPU is fine.

is it an AMD box or an INTEL box ??

If you run AMD without heatsink on cpu its fried. Intel will take it ... not long

No video means that there is no signal sent to the mnonitor its just like being unpluged.

Intel processor with a Zalman CNPS7700-ALCU 92mm 2 Ball heatsink. When I turned the computer on without the heatsink attatched, it was literally only for like 3 seconds. Just to see if it acted the same or not.

That means your cpu is fine. One time i turned computer on without heatsink on AMD and i burned it +D haha thas why.

It is either your video card or your AGP slot then so try the video card. If that works then you'll probably need a mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back