Monitor won't display anything upon powering on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, long story:
About a month ago I had the idea of replacing the mobo inside of my Compaq Presario 6027US desktop, and I ordered it. I remove the current Intel mobo and Pentium 4 proc and replace it with a PC Chips mobo and AMD Athlon proc. It worked just fine. About a week ago, I discovered that the computer wouldn't boot correctly for some reason after I had properly shut it down the night before. Windows wouldn't reinstall, it would always get stuck at Installing Network. After a few days of trying some things I finally read on a forum to try disabling certain hardware in BIOS, so I disabled the network card. Windows installed (supposedly hooray, right?) and I thought that I finally had my computer back. Nope, somehow the integrated network card on the mobo had broken, so I decided to put everything back into the computer that was there when it was bought. Original Intel mobo and proc back in, everything plugged in. The power LED is red. Not a pretty sight, so I tried reseating all wires and proc, the LED is now green upon turning on the power. I'm so close I can feel it until...nothing shows up on the monitor. Nothing at all, not even BIOS. The monitor power light is orange meaning it has no signal I believe.

So, hopefully after reading this epic tale you can help. I don't know what to fix or what to try, except that I tried putting in an AGP card thinking that maybe the integrated video card didn't work. No, that didn't work, either. Please, somebody help!

if your board has onboard graphics and you are using a video card then make sure that the onboard graphics are disabled in the bios and that you have the monitor cable connected to the video card. not the onboard graphics connection.

I said I've tried it both ways, neither one works. The monitor displays absolutely nothing, and the LED is amber so there's no signal. Which means that for some reason or another the mobo is sending absolutely no signal to the VGA slot. Any ideas?

well I am suprised you got the machine to boot at all after switching from one chipset to another if you didnt do a clean reinstall or XP or at least a repair install.

check your ram and make sure it is fully seated. if you have more than one stick then remove them and try them alternately in case one of them is bad.

Oh, I did have to reinstall XP after installing the new motherboard, yes. I just tried every combination of RAM and slot and still nothing shows up on the monitor. Thank you for the help so far by the way, I hope we can get it working. Any other ideas?

Have you tried connecting the monitor to another computer to make sure the monitor is still working?

This should help you.

IF YOU ARE TRYING TO FIND A PROBLEM WITH A PC, reduce the problems. The essential stuff that makes it work are 5 things. (I'll use the example with this motherboard of a friend of mine). All the technicians does this we reduce the number of essential hardware pieces of a PC. POWER SUPPLY + MOTHERBOARD + CPU (CPU + THERMAL GREASE + HEAT SINK + FAN) + GRAPHIC CARD + RAM.

The graphic card + ram + power supply you can check with another pc of a friend or whatever relationship. If that works well you know that there's a problem with the motherboard or the CPU. well the CPU you can also check on another mother board compatible and that you know previously that it works fine. Remember the thermal grase. Then you know what the real problem is.

First of all with the motherboard GA-K8NF-9 to be able to check if it works. Follow these steps.

- Only leave the the Power Supply it can be 300W or higher. Make sure that it has the ATX (with at least 20 pins, this board also allows the 24 pin) and the ATX_12V for the CPU (old cpu's don't need it).

- The motherboard.

- The CPU in this case AMD ATHLON 64, AMD ATHLON 64 FX2 and AMD OPTERON (they should be Socket 939 it appears on the motherboard where you place the CPU). Well also with the thermal grease + heat sink + fan (Compatible with the 939 socket the old one's don't work).

- DDR 266 or 333 or 400 MHz.

- A PCI Express (16x) or an old PCI card.

There is no need for more because we reduced the posible bad function to these 5 stuff.

If you have another Computer with you to check the Video card and the Memory perfect if that works and also the power supply that leaves you with only two stuff the CPU and the motherboard.

If you had tried with several graphic cards (this board doesn't have VGA incorporated) and it still doesn't work and if it has a AWARD bios that beeps (1 LONG BEEP THEN 2 SHORT BEEPS) take it back and make the salesman check it so that he can exchange for another one. Don't keep on trying, no need to check the jumpers to set up the CPU or the FSB the motherboard does it automatically and there's no jumpers for it. RETURN WERE EVER YOU BOUGHT IT.

Thank you all for your help so far, but so far nothing has worked. What really burns me is that I even just bought all the parts to a new computer I am building and the EXACT same problem is occurring. Everything seems powered and running, but the monitor stays on standby mode. This time I tried a different monitor, still no display at all. Both monitors still work on other computers we have. Please, if anyone has any other suggestion no matter how wacky, I'll give it a try.
Thanks again for all your help so far.

Very odd, but finally working.
The problem with the original computer was that two of the pins on the processor were bent. I'm always very careful but maybe it was misaligned or something. The new computer's motherboard for some reason is defective, and now with a brand spankin' new motherboard that one works too. Thanks once again for everyone's help I really appreciate it. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back