Monitor won't display (no input/check cables) after new video card install

Status
Not open for further replies.

s.aint7

I recently purchased a Chaintech Geforce FX5500 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X video card from newegg.com. Additional stats:

Core clock: 270MHz
D-SUB: 1
DirectX: DirectX 9
DVI: 1
Max Resolution: 2048x1536@85Hz
Memory Clock: 400MHz
OpenGL: OpenGL 1.4
TV Tuner: No
TV-Out: S-Video Out
VIVO: No

I've been using an old Geforce 2 32MB card (don't have the specifics at the moment) and it was working fine, albeit sub-par for new games (namely Guild Wars). I'm using an ASUS A7V133 Socket A motherboard, 200/266MHz FSB AGP Pro/4X (if you need any other info or specs let me know and I'll provide what I can).

Long story short: I correctly and safely removed the old card, input the new card, and nothing happens. My monitor says "no input/check cables". Obviously, something is going on with this card. I'm not sure if the problem is with the card itself, or its compatibility with my motherboard. I'm not a genius when it comes to pc hardware (that's why I'm here) and basically I have two questions:

1. If this video card can work with my motherboard, what do I need to do to get it to work?

2. If this video card cannot work with my motherboard, what's the best video card I could buy that would be compatible with what I've got? Also, considering the motherboard I DO have, if I indeed I need to replace this card again, what should I look for so I don't order the wrong thing?

Any assistance will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

You didn't say whether or not you uninstalled the old graphics card driver and installed a new one.

Good point.

No I did not. I just powered down, removed the old card, and installed the new one. Newbie here. Would having the old device still installed in the device manager and the old drivers still there when swapping cards cause this problem?

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go to your device manager and uninstall your display adaptor/s.

Next go to add remove programmes and uninstall any nvidia drivers that may be present.

Download Driver cleaner from http://www.drivercleaner.net/

Read the instructions carefully. Run the cab cleaner first and then the driver cleaner.

This should have got rid of all traces of the nvidia drivers.

Reboot your machine and install the latest nvidia drivers for your card.

You can find these at http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Sounds good

I'm indisposed at the moment, but as soon as I get home I'll try what you suggested. In the meantime though, are you more inclined to think this is a driver issue as opposed to a hardware incompatibility issue?

Do you think the card is even compatible with my motherboard? I thought so at first, but now I'm second guessing things.

Again, thanks for your reply.

Issue Update!!!

In order to get the card to display to fix the original problem, I read the manual on my BIOS and upped the AGP port setting from 2x to 4x, after which the card would function and display the post and bootup process. I then uninstalled the nVidia drivers for the old card, removed it from the device manager, booted into safe mode and ran the cab cleaner and the driver cleaner, then reinstalled the new nVidia drivers and started up. Everything worked fine at first, I could even play Guild Wars and City of Heroes with no real problems. However, after several reboots, two new issues have arisen relating to running my games:

1. When I try to load Guild Wars, the screen goes black, then my computer reboots. Upon winxp loading, I get a message that there was a problem with the video card trying to render graphics, and then the standard "do you want to send an error report" message. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling Guild Wars to reset the video settings, but the exact same problem occurs.

2. City of Heroes now gets a visual c++ runtime crash when I try to load it. Again with an error about the video card failing to render graphics. I haven't yet tried uninstalling/reinstalling it.

I have, however, several times uninstalled/reinstalled the latest nVidia drivers and tried to see if that would fix things, but the problem persists. So far, the card functions fine as far as displaying the windows environment, but anytime I try to play a game or do anything that would tax the card for its 3D purposes, I get a crash or some type of error. If anyone with any experience with these types of issues can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

What version of DirectX are you using?

If you click start, and select run, and type dxdiag into the box and press return.

On the first page that appears you will see which version of DirectX you`ve got.

Also, what psu(power supply unit) do you have?

Also go HERE and read my post.

Regards Howard :) :)

RE: specs

Currently using DirectX 9.0c

PSU is an ANTEC Performance 350W Output Model SL 350.

I read your post, downloaded EVEREST Home Edition, and updated my profile with all my PC specs. Thanks for your prompt reply.

Thanks for the specs.

A ram problem could be causing your problems.

Download and run the Memtest86+ programme from www.memtest.org

Let it run for at least seven passes. If you don`t have a floppy drive, there is an iso version that you can burn to cd, and boot from that.

This will tell you if you have a ram problem or not.

Regards Howard :)

Sli!!!!

From my experience If you have dual monitors then you will need 2 thing's, 1 you need 2 video cards that are compatible for a SLI chip.2 make sure that your motherboard is compatible for running two video cards. :grinthumb :grinthumb

Sebastian :wave: :wave:

Good Luck :giddy: :giddy:

You say you try the latest drivers from nvidia... Are you talking about the official, or betas?
If only the official, you might want to take a look at either some of the betas floating around or try one of the older official drivers. Sometimes a driver fixes one problem, only to introduce a new that weren't there before.

Display Problems

Lately my monitor (Sony Flat Panel...9 months old) has been blanking on and off. A monitor message states something about "input" and "going to power save." I've checked the connections and they are fine. Today I got an error message stating something about the display. It is not obvious how I can correct this. Any suggestions? Thanks!

PS. I know this is not my computer going into a screen saver or powersave (ie. not something I can fix with the Display settings.)

Trouble...

I have the same problem with my monitor. I installed an Nvidia 9600GT video card into my HP, uninstalled the old drivers from device manage, and am getting a "Entering sleep mode" from my monitor. It only happens when I play games like COD4 or warhammer online. I factory restored my computer, reinstalled windows, the video card, etc.... and it still happened.
I turned off all the display settings that have to do with hibernation and sleep(including on my monitor) and no luck.
I have checked the cables for connection problems, updated my bios, drivers etc....
Any help would be appreciated.
I am lost.

I have the same problem with my monitor. I installed an Nvidia 9600GT video card into my HP, uninstalled the old drivers from device manage, and am getting a "Entering sleep mode" from my monitor. It only happens when I play games like COD4 or warhammer online. I factory restored my computer, reinstalled windows, the video card, etc.... and it still happened.
I turned off all the display settings that have to do with hibernation and sleep(including on my monitor) and no luck.
I have checked the cables for connection problems, updated my bios, drivers etc....
Any help would be appreciated.
I am lost.

holy crap... I give spor0504 5 points for finding/bumping a 3 year old thread. Koudos on searching for a solution, before posting for help.

I don't know how to tell you to fix this.... except to make sure you removed any trace of your old drivers(may still be some left in the registry?) and make sure you are using the latest drivers for your card. (I would not recommend beta drivers, fin the current stable drivers)

No DVI signal

SO my video card only has 2 DVI ports in the back... The monitor is plugged into the DVI port via an adapter, but when i switch the monitor video inputs to DVI, the screen goes black and says there is no signal. Then it auto adjusts and switches back to VGA.
still lost...
and thanks for the quick replies...

Success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow...It's about time.

For those of you having trouble with "no input" or your screen going to sleep.... check the power supply needs of your video card.
I bought a Nvidia Geforce 9600GT.....thinking OH yes!!!!! games!!!!!

But little did I know I only had 250W of power....

After jumping through hoops for about 2 weeks now...I spent $63 bucks on a 500W power supply (it's easy to install)....

And magic. No more interrupted games...no more yelling at my computer threatening a 2 story drop.....

Check into it.
GL kids.
(thank you guys for the replies)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back