Bacchus451

Hey,
I built this computer today with the following specs:

Pentium D 920
ASUS P5WD2 LGA775
Rosewill 550w PSU
1GB pqi PC4200 memory
XFX GeForce 7600GT 265mb

So there are the basics, and here is the problem. I've got everything installed correctly as far as I know. I turn on the computer and everything turns on, the psu, the video card, the fans, everything. For some reason, though, the monitor tells me "Monitor working, not recieving signal" or something similar. Any ideas?

Hello and welcome to Techspot!

Can you give us a bit more info please.

Before you hit the power button, are there any LED lights lit up on the motherboard?

After you hit the power button, do the LED lights change?

Do you hear any beeps when you power up?

Does the 7600GT require it's own power connection from the PSU (does it have an empty 4 pin connector slot on the end of the card?)

Do you have TWO connections from the PSU to your motherboard connected?

Hey, thanks for the help.

THere is a green light in the bottom right corner of the computer that is on before I turn it on, and it stays on and doesn't change after I turn it on. There doesn't seem to be any sort of power to go into the video card, and I didn't have both power connections hooked up. I hooked a 24-pin connector and a 4-pin square connector in the upper left corner of the board. It still won't display anything, though. Also, I don't hear any beeps when starting it.

Alright, just to confirm, you say there is a green light in the bottom of your computer. You mean on the motherboard itself right?

Assuming that your case has a speaker (most do) you should be getting a beep when you power on. No beeps usually means ram problems.

Take out and re-seat the ram. Try with ONLY one stick instead of two (for troubleshooting purposes).

Also (important!), did you use the "riser pins"? The metal stand-offs that you need to put into the case's screw holes (the ones for the motherboard) BEFORE you install your motherboard.

I did use the riser pins to mount the board. The light is on the motherboard down near the front panel connectors. The case has a speaker connector which is hooked correctly, so I assume it has speakers. I switched to only one stick of ram and there is still no beep, which means no POST, right?

Yup. Do you have some other ram you can test in there?

Strip down to the basics to help troubleshoot.

Take the mobo out and place it on a box or something beside your case. Hook up the case speaker, and the PSU connections. Leave in your GPU, CPU (w/heatsink and fan) and ONE stick of ram only. Don't connect anything else, and see if you can get your system to POST.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention. In order to power up (since you won't have your case's power switch connected) you will need to use a screwdriver to (very quickly) short the two pins on the motherboard that usually are connected to your case's power switch.

Well I've got a coolermaster aquagate mini-watercooling system in here, it's going to be extremely time consuming taking it apart to test. Other than that, I've disconnected everything but the water cooling (Which only cools the processor), the psu, 1 stick of ram, and the gpu. That's all, also unfortunately I don't have any other DDR2 memory to test.

Taking it out of the case is simply a way to confirm that the problem isn't being caused by the motherboard shorting against the case somewhere, as this too would stop your system from posting.

It could be any number of things, and all you can do is start with the cheap stuff and work your way up.

First suspect would be ram, but it is rare that you'd have TWO dead sticks of ram. PC4200 is compatible with that board, but perhaps it doesn't like the timings or something. I'd start with getting your hands (somehow) on another stick of DDR2 to test.

Since that ram should work, (and assuming your motherboard isn't shorting on your case somewhere) I'm suspecting a DOA mobo. Happens sometimes.

Rosewill PSUs scare me.

I had a junk ECS board laying around and I tried the setup on that board... and it ran. So it could either have been the gpu or the board. I went to Wal-Mart and picked up a PCI board to test it out, and the ASUS still wouldn't boot. I guess it's a DOA board. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back