Monitor won't go blank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Power settings are Screen Saver wait 5 mins, monitor off after 20 mins, turn off hard disk after 2 hours, system on standby after 1 hour.

But it won't do that. Computer Nerd worked on computer, set the settings (except the SS was 10 mins), and the first 24 hours all was in order. Then bingo, the monitor just sat there with my desktop pic. It went off once later in the week during the afternoon, but that was the last time. I have the feeling that if my computer fixer can't fix it, nobody can - but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Question more easily answered: Is it ok to just turn off the monitor when I'm done for a period of a few hours or overnight? I don't want to turn off my computer because all my updates etc are scheduled for the wee small hours. My monitor is a SyncMaster 192N, Samsung, and only a couple of years old, if that.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

I'm not sure why it won't kick on the screensaver, likely some program is running preventing it from doing so. That monitor is an LCD so you don't have to worry about burn-in like with old tvs/CRT monitors. In fact, screensavers on LCDs are fairly useless. Whatever is preventing the screen saver from coming on is likely also the reason the monitor won't 'go blank' either (which is an energy saving feature).

But to answer your other question, yes it is perfectly fine to shut off the monitor and leave the rest of the computer running.

thanks very much. I know the chap fixing my computer will find whatever program is running and sort it out. And thanks for relieving my mind about turning off just the monitor. You are a great help. This is a wonderful site!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back