TechSpot

Monitor wont turn on with ram in slots 3-4

By gardenofgrass
Aug 14, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. As the title states I cant seem to get my monitor to turn on when I put ram in slots 3-4.. I currently have 2x2gb ram installed and im trying to install 2x1gb more(in slots 3-4)
    both sets are matching pairs

Any suggestions?

CPU: amd phenom ii x4
    GPU: Radeon hd 7700
    MOBO: Gigabyte M720-US3
    64 bit*
  2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,468   +622

What's the timings, frequency, and voltage on the RAM sets?

Also confirming, that you are putting them into matching ram slots? 3-4 tells me nothing and can be misunderstood anyway.
  3. gardenofgrass

gardenofgrass TS Rookie Topic Starter

My apologies im not exactly a wiz with this ****!& yea im putting them in matching slots.

2x2gb ddr2
    1.8v
    800mhz
    5-6-6-18

2x1gb ddr2
    1.8v
    800mhz
    5-5-5-18
  4. St1ckM4n

Hmm.... do you have RAM timings set to auto in BIOS (should be like that by default, but checking). Now really sure what else to suggest... :(

I'd try with the known working good RAM in the 2nd slots. Then try with one stick on the 'new' RAM each time. It's possible one of the RAM sticks is bad.
  5. gardenofgrass

gardenofgrass TS Rookie Topic Starter

Its set to auto, and all the ram works when in slots 1 & 2.?!
  6. St1ckM4n

So it works in the primary RAM slots. Put the sticks in one by one in the secondary slots until it doesn't work. Then try with the other RAM stick to make sure it's the slot and not the stick.

It could be a bad RAM slot, or interfering with GPU ..

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.