Monitor worked, but after updates doesn't!

By jakethesnake
Jan 28, 2005
  1. Hey. I have a SAMTRON (Samsung brand, I think) 76DF(X)/776F(X)/78DF (that is what it says in the Display tab) monitor for my computer. I have had it for about three years now. Just like any other week, I go to my Windows Update and install all the latest updates for my computer. Now, this week I installed some of the "hardware & driver updates," one of which was for my monitor. It went fine, I downloaded and installed the updates, then finished up some things and restarted my computer. I have my monitor set at 1024x768 pixels with Highest (32 bit) color quality. However, when I restarted my computer, it turned on like normal, but the color quality was terrible (set at Lowest 4 bit) and the screen resoulution was set at 640x480 pixels. When I noticed the changes, I went to the display and settings tab, and changed my screen resoultion and color quality to what I wanted it to be, my normal settings. First, I tried it without restarting my computer. It just stayed the same. Then I tried it with restarting my computer. It stayed the same, also. It will just go back to the Lowest 4 bit colors and the 640x480 resolution. Any suggestions as to how to get it back to my normal settings? Help!
  2. jakethesnake

jakethesnake TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 30

Okay, a little edit:

I've called my local tech store, BestBuy, and they gave me some useless information. I can get it to 800x600 pixels, but that is the highest I can go. It still won't let me get past Lowest 4 bit color quality. It is starting to make me angry.

I think I am going to go a little in-depth here and give you the whole story. I installed a Windows Update for my SAMTRON 76DF Monitor, and when I restarted the computer, all of my display settings where different. When I went to change them, I put them where I wanted them to be and clicked apply, but it just stayed the same. BestBuy said to get on an internet chatroom/forum and see if anyone else has had this problem.
  3. Paul

Paul TS Rookie Posts: 58

First of all the size for your monitor is 1280x1024 32 color,and all 17"crt as standard resolution,set this and restart.
  4. jakethesnake

jakethesnake TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 30

When I set it to any resolution or color quality, it doesn't set. It just goes back to the distroted resoultion and quality.

Thanks for the information. I got the monitor back to it's normal settings, but not with the information I recieved. When I clicked on settings to try and do that, my computer shut down and restarted without me telling it to do so. After it turned back on, I was prompted with a message saying that my computer had just recovered by a serious and fatal error. I went to more details and it told me to apply an update to my graphics driver. I did that, restarted, went into settings just fine and it restored to my normal settings!
  5. Paul

Paul TS Rookie Posts: 58

O Really ! good thing u set it at 1280x1024.:haha:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.