TechSpot

Monoprice will sell a 28-inch 4K monitor for less than $600

By Scorpus
Jun 12, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. After 3D never really took off, the next big thing for displays is 4K, and like with all immature technologies, being an early adopter will usually cost you an arm and a leg. Or maybe not, with Monoprice gearing up to...

Read more

2. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Evangelist Posts: 595   +52

The nice thing about a 4K display is that if your video card can't handle the native resolution, you can play it at 1080 and it will be just like playing on a native 1080 28" display since 1080 is an exact multiple (1 pixel in 1080 is 4 in 4K).

TheLastPanda likes this.
  3. Experimentongod

Experimentongod TS Addict Posts: 227   +85

I'm still debating over buying a 1440p display, because of the increased horsepower needed from the GPU to get games running smoothly and also because Blu-ray movies are 1080p anyway. 4K is out of the question for now, but I'm glad to see that it's starting to get "affordable".

4. Experimentongod

Interesting idea, but it would be kind of a waste to watch movies (1080p) and also play games at 1080p on these displays... you would plunge $600 just to have a sharper looking OS desktop :/.

5. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 854   +339

Is that possible with 1080p displays running 960x540?

6. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,154   +1,429

Still designing and manufacturing monitors with HDMI 1.4 instead of HDMI 2.0 is a complete disgrace for today!

7. Experimentongod

I have a 1080p display and just tested it... it's hard to tell if there is any interpolation on the output because it looks like crap ^^'

8. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 854   +339

Yeah, that's probably just monitors ability to have more native resolutions like Wagan8r said, although it would be good if it was possible.

9. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,191   +590

Interesting, will be nice to see some more information coming on this model to see if its worthwhile.

10. dualkelly

dualkelly TS Rookie Posts: 22

4k 28inch might be nice for watching a movie or playing a game but for browsing and anything else the resolution will be too much I have a 30inch at 2k and that requires sometimes resizing text on the browser. Amazing clarity for movies though, Will never go back.

11. Steve

Steve TechSpot Editor Posts: 2,217   +1,240

Just adjust the Windows DPI, that's what I do on my 30". You can also adjust the Windows text obviously while leaving everything else at the standard size which would be small at 4K.

dualkelly likes this.
  12. Nima304

Nima304 TS Guru Posts: 365   +81

I love how fast 4k monitor prices are dropping. Hopefully by summer 2015 they'll be around $300.00, which is when I'll buy two. For the GPU issue, I'll probably run them at 2k until I can game on them in 4k at 60+ FPS. If the monitor lasts for 5+ years, it'll be a great investment.

Steve likes this.
  13. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 510   +46

Make it 120Hz+ and I would buy it

14. Is there any 21:9 monitor with resolution of 2160p and 60+ Hz available in market?

15. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

Really.... can the human eye even tell the difference above a certain resolution? It's like megapixels with cameras.... after about 3mp you really don't notice!

16. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

That's subject to the viewing distance and the viewer visual acuity. If you have a bad photo and stretch it even further on a 4K monitor can look bad. So your camera analogy applies, but only if the photo resolution is low to begin with. With higher resolution images, the picture does look better. Commonly, more than picture quality, people are noticing that the 30 Hz looks choppy.