Monoprice will sell a 28-inch 4K monitor for less than $600

Scorpus

Staff member

After 3D never really took off, the next big thing for displays is 4K, and like with all immature technologies, being an early adopter will usually cost you an arm and a leg. Or maybe not, with Monoprice gearing up to release a 28-inch monitor that packs a reasonable price tag.

Not much is known specification-wise about the panel, other than it's 28-inches in size and comes with a resolution of 3840 x 2160, or 157 pixels per inch. There's no word on whether this is a 60 Hz panel or whether it's single tile, although as it's branded as a gaming monitor you'd hope it was 60 Hz.

monoprice display monitor ultra hd 4k

Connectivity-wise you'll find three HDMI ports and a DisplayPort. According to CNET, the monitor is reasonably slim and looks okay with a brushed metal bottom panel, in contrast to most plastic budget monitors.

Most importantly, Monoprice expects to sell their Ultra HD monitor for somewhere between $550 and $600, which will be cheaper than other displays of this kind. Samsung sells a 60 Hz 4K 28-inch monitor for $690, while Dell has a 30 Hz model available for just under $600. Pre-orders for the monitor will begin in July, with a release expected sometime in the third quarter of this year.

Permalink to story.

The nice thing about a 4K display is that if your video card can't handle the native resolution, you can play it at 1080 and it will be just like playing on a native 1080 28" display since 1080 is an exact multiple (1 pixel in 1080 is 4 in 4K).

I'm still debating over buying a 1440p display, because of the increased horsepower needed from the GPU to get games running smoothly and also because Blu-ray movies are 1080p anyway. 4K is out of the question for now, but I'm glad to see that it's starting to get "affordable".

The nice thing about a 4K display is that if your video card can't handle the native resolution, you can play it at 1080 and it will be just like playing on a native 1080 28" display since 1080 is an exact multiple (1 pixel in 1080 is 4 in 4K).
Interesting idea, but it would be kind of a waste to watch movies (1080p) and also play games at 1080p on these displays... you would plunge $600 just to have a sharper looking OS desktop :/.

Is that possible with 1080p displays running 960x540?

Still designing and manufacturing monitors with HDMI 1.4 instead of HDMI 2.0 is a complete disgrace for today!

Interesting, will be nice to see some more information coming on this model to see if its worthwhile.

4k 28inch might be nice for watching a movie or playing a game but for browsing and anything else the resolution will be too much I have a 30inch at 2k and that requires sometimes resizing text on the browser. Amazing clarity for movies though, Will never go back.

4k 28inch might be nice for watching a movie or playing a game but for browsing and anything else the resolution will be too much I have a 30inch at 2k and that requires sometimes resizing text on the browser. Amazing clarity for movies though, Will never go back.

Just adjust the Windows DPI, that's what I do on my 30". You can also adjust the Windows text obviously while leaving everything else at the standard size which would be small at 4K.

I love how fast 4k monitor prices are dropping. Hopefully by summer 2015 they'll be around $300.00, which is when I'll buy two. For the GPU issue, I'll probably run them at 2k until I can game on them in 4k at 60+ FPS. If the monitor lasts for 5+ years, it'll be a great investment.

Is there any 21:9 monitor with resolution of 2160p and 60+ Hz available in market?

Really.... can the human eye even tell the difference above a certain resolution? It's like megapixels with cameras.... after about 3mp you really don't notice!

Really.... can the human eye even tell the difference above a certain resolution? It's like megapixels with cameras.... after about 3mp you really don't notice!
That's subject to the viewing distance and the viewer visual acuity. If you have a bad photo and stretch it even further on a 4K monitor can look bad. So your camera analogy applies, but only if the photo resolution is low to begin with. With higher resolution images, the picture does look better. Commonly, more than picture quality, people are noticing that the 30 Hz looks choppy.

Back