Mophie's Space lineup provides battery boost and external storage for iPhones and iPads

Jos

Staff

mophie space iphone ipad

Best known for its mobile battery offerings, Sophie stepped into new territory last year with the release of yet another battery-equipped iPhone case but with built-in storage. Today, the company is pushing further into this category with new versions of its Space pack for the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, and iPad Mini.

The new cases are designed to be slim and as light weight as possible and include anywhere from 32GB to 128 GB of flash storage in addition to a built-in battery. For the iPhone 6, Space packs come with a 3,300mAh battery that provides up to 100% additional battery life, and are priced at $150 for 32GB, $200 for 64GB and a whopping $300 for 128GB. The iPhone 6 Plus Space Pack is similarly priced but its 2,600mAh battery is only good for 50% additional charge.

The same storage points are available for the iPad mini but will set you back even more at $200 for 32GB, $300 for 64GB and $400 for 128GB. It comes with a 7,000mAh battery that’s good for 100% additional charge.

Of course, iOS doesn't recognize external storage, so Mophie provides its own companion app to get around this limitation. The free Space app allows you to move photos, videos, and documents from your device to you Space Pack. It also includes the ability to wirelessly share these files between your mobile device and a Mac or PC and other mobile devices over a Wi-Fi network.

In addition to cases for the iPhone and iPad mini, Mophie has also released a new standalone Spacestation, which provides a battery boost and external storage to devices plugged to it -- rather than snapping them onto a case.

The new Space products are up for preorder now and will start shipping in May.

Permalink to story.

I assume Mophie is a slant on morphing, I could be wrong, but here in South Africa, 'mophie' is a local derogatory slang term used for homosexuals to distinguish them from hetrosexuals but often spelled as 'moffie' instead.

Oh that being the case... probably they don't use that interface or memories, to keep performance-wise the same level as in Apple's solution, also to avoid wear and tear and whatnot. But I'm just guessing here.

Back