More PCIe slots on Mo-Bo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

A week ago I bought a Gigabyte X38-DS5 motherboard.

Expansion slots:

1. 2 x PCI Express x16 slots supporting ATI CrossFire™ technology
(The PCI Express x16 slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
2. 3 x PCI Express x1 slots
3. 2 x PCI slots

Since I plan to use this machine for video editing only I hanged onto my video card, NIVIDIA GeForce 7600GT, which of course is plugged into the top PCIe x16 slot.

I bought this mo-bo because I thought I needed a 2nd x16 PCIe slot for my Blackmagic Design Multibridge Extreme
At a time I didn't realise a 4lane would be enough.

Here is the dilemma.

I need to get a RADI controller card, to run a fibre channel disk array (or similar) - not sure which yet - this is where I am stuck at the moment.

1.) www.buymac.com.au/produc...channel-hba-pcie

2.) www.sonnettech.com/produ...po_sata_e4p.html

3.) any suggestions? Something cheaper?

Do they each demand a PCIe slot, 4 Lane ?
(I am judging it by the look of the card? I really don't know...)

What do I do?
Is there a RAID controller that works on slots I have left over?
Do I chuck out my video card and try and get a different, PCI slot card?! That doesn't make sense...

Guess I am not understanding the expansion slot number 2 (above), the 3 x PCI Express x 1 slots? What are they for? They are so tiny, I haven't seen a card that goes into those things?

Any info would be greatly appreciated
Indifilmz

I will let some one else give advice on the brand of card but the card u are looking for can either be a PCI or a PCI-E1 card, and yes the PCI-E1 is a little faster than a PCI slot. u can get video cards that fit in the PCI-E1, sound cards, and I have a net work card in one in another computer.

thanks nickc,

I do wonder if there is a good RAID controller card that will fit PCIE1, as that would solve all the issues. the RAID I wish to set-up tho has to enable me high speeds so that hopefully I can do HD editing...

HD YUV (Requires sustained 250-300 MB/s throughout):
4 - 6 Drive or 2 Channel U320 Adaptec 39320 SCSI card
2 Channel - 2 Gb Fiber channels

2K / HD RGB (Requires sustained 400-450 MB/s throughout):
8 - 10 Drive 2-4 Channel U320 Adaptec 39320 SCSI card*
2 Channel - 4Gb Fiber channel array

--

If that doesnt work, 2nd best option would be to throw out my Nvidia GeForce 7600GT and put a new one into PCIe1, leaving a pcie x16 empty? Any suggestions?

I run 2 LCDs of my current video card, and would love to keep that feature.

Thanks again
Indifilmz

I can't really help you on most of your poblems. :D
But you don't have to get a PCI x1 when you have another PCI x16 open. If you want (I actually havn't figured out what card it is you are looking to get... I think a raid card?) just get whatever card that it is you need and put it into the PCI x16 slot. I think that you can use the other PCI x16 for whatever without actually using it with the crossfire setup. Make sense? :)
I am not entirely sure if you can use the other PCI x16 without it screwing up or something so if I would you I would get some clarification. google is your friend. :D

hi samjohnson,

Unfortunately I do not have an empty x16 PCIe slot right now, just a bunch of PCIe1 and PCI slots... the two x16PCIe are taken, one with my video card and one with the blackmagic design multibridge extreme (which needed 4 lanes).

The only way to free up x16PCIe is to take the video card out, and buy one that fits into PCIe1... the other option (preferred) would be to get a raid controller card that fits into PCIe1, but I don't think that exists? Does it? I figure it doesn't since the raid control card needs high speed of at least 4 lanes which PCIe1 doesn't provide...

Any thoughts on a decent video card with dual monitor outputs that plugs into PCIe1? .... seems that is my only solution... thus far...

cheers again!
Happy new year!
Indifilmz

The 2nd one looks quiet good actually. I might read up a bit about it now and see if it would work for me (it would definitely free up that one x16 PCIe slot). One bad thing about it I can see right now is that it has dual slot usage at the back, and with the amount of cards I have in the machine I am not sure I will have enough room there ;) Will check it out...

thanks!
If you see any other, please let me know. Do you know how this would compare to the nvidia geforce 7600GT card?

and if anyone knows of raid controllers that run on pcie1, please let me know!
Thanks!
Indifilmz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back