More questions...unless you haven't seen my other posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am building a new machine and need some technical answers.

Pentium 4, 3.0GHZ HT Prescott
Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000G ATX Intel Motherboard
2X Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
ATI Radeon X800 Pro 256MB (already purchased for 80, good deal?)
Western Digital Caviar SE 250GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s
Rosewill TU-155 Black 0.8mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Rosewill ATX12V 400W with P4 support Power Supply
ZALMAN CNPS7000B-ALCU 92mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan

First of all, is the memory good enough, or should i go with something such as Corsair? What is the difference anyways between Corsair and others? Also, the case comes with a 400W power supply. Is this adequate for all the stuff I have listed, or should I go with something different? Also, with a 3GHZ Prescott, how high could it conceivably be overclocked, and what would be a good number to overclock it to if it were on 24/7? Thanks a lot for your input, this is the best computer forum and site I have been too. Everyone is really cool and not elitist about helping people.

Overclocking depends on each chip. 1 prescott might overclock really well while another might not. Just hope that your lucky and that you get a good one. Same thing for running them 24/7. I can overclock my 3200 to 2.8ghz, but I can only run it stable 24/7 at 2.65ghz (The equivalent of 4ghz pentium).

I haven't got the best chip, but it's still a good overclocker imho (it's stock clock is 2.0ghz).

For the graphic card, great deal ! Truly, very good. The chances that you can unlock to a x800xt are pretty good. You orginaly have 12 pipelines activated on the card, but you should be able by flashing your bios to activate 4 more pipelines and getting a full fledge 16.
They also overclock well, you should be able to get a 560mem/570mem(x2) without artifacts. If you get a good overclocking one 580/590. If it's great i've seen 605/615 on stock cooling.

I've got my x800GT at 590/600 with a zalman VF700cu. The GT I have doesn't unlock at all :(.

As for the RAM, it depends. Corsair and other elite brands will have lower lantency's, will support higher voltage (therefore you can overclock your ram further), etc. Kingston is still good ram though. You should be ok with kingston, unless you really want to push your ram.

As for you power supply, as long as you don't intend to sli or crossfire video cards and that you don't have a huge amount of extra peripherals (4 cd roms, usb coffee warmer, etc) 400-500 is enough. The amount of W doesn't mean the power supply is any good. Quality 430W is better than average 600W. This is because the better quality your psu is, the more stable the voltage outputs are, so the more stable your system is.

First off, i wouldent trust that psu that comes with your case, go with the Antec TruPower v2.0 430 watt, i have it, and im running 3 hdds, 1 cdrom, intel 2.8ghz HT, and a few other pheriphials. You can notice differences when comparing, regular ram/low clock/high cas settings, to High quality, high clock, low cas setting ram, maybe go with 1 gig of corsair TWINX series.

overclocking chips really depend on production runs and whether or not the manufactuer catches on that a certain batch can perform a lot better than it designed specs. In addition the manufactuer has to decide whether or not to lock the chip in order to make money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back