TechSpot

More than a million Americans have downloaded Android adware over the past year, study finds

By Shawn Knight
Jun 26, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A new study from security firm Lookout reveals that over the past year, more than a million American Android users have downloaded adware without knowing it. Perhaps even more worrisome is that some 6.5 percent of free applications available via...

Read more

2. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 883   +233

Yeah, I like my Droid 4 but its about as secure as a thong in Rosie O'donnell's drawer. I stay pretty safe with mine with everything I do, and even then I still don't do jack with it except check my eBay auctions & phone bill.
    I've made a similar comment's about having more faith/feeling more protected on a Windows 2000 PC with AVG free then I do with my Droid.

3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,133   +731

That is surprising to me. I'd think that as soon as ads start showing up they'd know they downloaded some adware. I've done it, and I've just uninstalled the app and it goes away. Mine have been in the form of notifications that are ads. The tough part is if you download a bunch of wallpapers at once or something it'll be hard to tell which one is the offending ad. That's probably why 'personalization' is high category with ads... they get downloaded in groups.

4. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,581   +103

Most of this has to be through ignoring the details of what permissions the apps are asking for when installing them. Just clicking "Ok" regardless of the fact a wallpaper app wants to be able to read all your messages and send messages on your behalf. I run Avast mobile av on mines which makes me feel a lilttle more secure.

5. Timonius

Timonius TS Booster Posts: 584   +33

Simple transparency is needed. Google Play just needs to add a required field stating that advertisements are used or not in for the particular application.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.