More Trouble Adding A Second Hard Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

learner1

Hello there ,
I am back again due to the great help I got before. thanks again.
I am still trying to install a second hard drive as a slave.
This has its own operating systhem win'98 with alot of info i do not want to lose
so i do not want to format it.
I have installed the second drive.
It registers in the bios.

It does not matter wether i set the order for booting to the old disk wth xp on it or the new disc with 98 on it.It does not work.

If I try to boot to xp 1st it stalls after it shows the xp front page loading and then i get a black screen.

if i try the slave disk as priorty I get a black screen(no loading screen) with two small lines flashing at the top left hand corner.
If I dissconnect the slave drive it will boot from xp from the master.

any thoughts on the above

In hope
learner1

all are ide drives
if you are attempting to boot 98 on new machine can have errors as the drivers are diff from old machine
try this
first drive master on end of cable plugged in to ide 1
2nd drive as slave on middel of cable plugged to ide 2
if running sata for first drive you need to fig out the correct boot device setup in bios so the ide does not run
some motherboards just set the ide hdd in bios to none
this way the bios does not try to boot the ide drive

Thks. for replying
I will try to explain.

my machine has xp with an 80 gb hard disk.

on a previous machine I had a 30gb disk with windows 98 on it.
Both are Maxtor.

I now want to add the 30gb disk as a second hard disk to the xp machine.
This has a lot of info i need.

I have changed the jumpers . the 80gb to master
the 30gb to slave on the same ide cable.

when both are installed they are registered in the bios.
1)
the boot order in the bios is 80gb 1st. and 30gb second

when I continue to boot the machine it it tries to boot in xp.
It displays the welcome page and begins to load- stops and I get a black screen.
2)
If i change the boot order and do the 30 ist I get a black screen with a flashing " = " in the top left hand corner.
3)
I have changed the 30gb to master and removed the 80gb all together.
I get a black screen with a flashing " = " in the top left hand corner.

if i remove the the drives cd + dvd from the 2nd ide and attatch the 30g will i have trouble putting back the cd + dvd drives later. is it just a matter of replugging them in.

Any Ideas- I would really appreciate your help
learner1

I think maybe the partition on your old drive is still marked as active, and something tells me that both drives has a partition that is named C: therefor you cant boot the xp with another drive insisting on having the C: partition.

And like samstoned mentions, when your xp boots, the boot.ini file indicates what drive and partition is to be bootet from. But if the drives are mounted wrong, or if the old drive somehow take the 80gig drives place (this is related to bios and cabling/jumpers) this would fail.

"default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn"

as u can see in the above, if the bios cant sort disk order, then bootini cant tell the system what disk to properly boot from. So something could be wrong in the order of which they are representet in. This is still a guess :>

A simple workaround could be to slap the 30gig drive into a external usb case, and plug it in via your usb, then you would be able to pull your data over to you new main drive, and use the old for backup or something.

Those cases does not cost alot, maybe like 20$.

Have a nice weekend

thks for your excellent reply Zorg.

It could be calling on both as c drives.
Looking at Acronis software. this may be the way to go.

Usb external case . Good Idea.

thks again

thanks again.
decided to give it one more go

With both drives installed. booting on th 80gb with xp after waiting the longest time it eventually booted into XP.
Bedore it booted into xp it warned of a non xp disk. it said it was fat 32.(the 30gb with '98 on it).
It checed it for consistancy and eventually booted into xp on the 80gb.

In my computer the 30gb appeared as a local disk(g).
This is great . but system was extremely slow.

When i tried to open (g) it reported that this file could not be opened or is corrupt.
This was not great

tried to boot from the 30gb disk (with 'os'98) got black screen with
flashing " = " in the top left hand corner. left it for a few minutes . then nothing happened.

what was one to do now.
any thoughts
learner1

if 98 was not installed on this machine you will have problems
not all problems are this bad.
from first post I gathered it is from diff machine
if you want to use as boot os you need a 3rd party boot manager or edit your boot.ini in xp
thats after you fix the driver problems (software) with 98
if you can access your data through xp don't play with 98 anymore
I would add the cd too the 1st ide as slave and add the 98 drive as slave on 2nd ide
should have no problems putting stuff back ,at least in all the builds I have done it never affected the optical drives , moving them around
you may need to take possession of the drive under security tab in properties of the drive
copy your data to the other drive verify that data is OK
then go back and change files system to ntfs it should not damage data ,but you never know

Thks. for the advise.

I appreciate all your help. Will try 2nd ide next time.

I have used maxblast 4 to format the 30gb and now have 30 gb of extra storage.will have to build up lost info ( not for the first time)
learned a lot fron talking to all at Techspot. \\i am \glad \i found ye all.
see you soon.

learner1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back