TechSpot

Most peculiar problem - computer spontaneously reboots!

By ReuvenNY
Aug 31, 2005
  1. About a week ago my computer started rebooting by itself in an unpredictable manner. Mostly when not attended, but from time to time while I was using it.

My first suspicion was hardware: either memory, motherboard, CPU or power supply. I verified that all worked fine. The Motherboard temperature was within normal limits as well.

To exclude any other possible hardware problems, I booted the system with a Linux distribution (Knoppix 3.9), which boots and works straight from the CD. I left it working for over 16 hours with no problem.

My next project was to check my OS. I am using Windows XP Pro. I downloaded from Symantec a Zotob worm remover. Turned out I had no Zotob. I cleaned the drive from all kinds of malware/spyware etc with Ad-Aware, Spybot - Search & Destroy and with Webroot Spy sweeper. Checked for Viruses with two anti virus applications - Avast and Trend Micro online.

I also used VCOM’s Fix-It-Utilities 6 pro to clean up the registry.
    The only thing I didn’t try yet is stopping the Google Desktop Tool from indexing, but I do not think it has anything to do with this. (Correct me if I am wrong).

So now I am at a loss - short than reinstalling Windows, is there anything else I can do? Did I overlook anything? Did anyone else have a similar experience?

Thanks for any help.

My system:

Asus K8V SE Deluxe
    AMD Athelon 64 3200+
    1.5 Gig RAM PC3200 400MHz
    1SATA 160Mb drive
    1 IDE 120 Mb drive
    LG Super Multi DVD RW
    Sony DVD-R drive
    GeForce FX5200 128Mb video controller
    Floppy drive
    Fax Modem
    Windows XP Pro with SP2
    Zone Alarm

2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

could also be the blaster virus. :knock:

you'll need the blaster removal tool
    from symantec.

3. ReuvenNY

ReuvenNY TS Rookie Topic Starter

It was not the Blaster either. But listening to all the advise and comments here and elsewhere, I downloaded every possible adware defense program, antivirus as well as two Root Kit revealers - one from Systernals and the other F-Secure Blacklight.
    Cleaning up my system was lengthy process, but did not completely resolve the problem. What apparently did it was restoring my system 10 days back. (Surprisingly I could not successfully restore it to several earlier points, even though it seemed like an option).
    It’s been now over 48 hours and my machine doesn’t reboot.

4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

great. Glad to hear it was resolved.

5. ReuvenNY

ReuvenNY TS Rookie Topic Starter

An epilogue:

Having played with my computer further, I have identified the actual culprit - Google Desktop Search beta 2 and/or one of the plugins for the program I installed. How do I know? After the machine worked fine for almost three full days, I decided to reinstall the Desktop Search program, which immediately started indexing my files. A few hours later the machine rebooted. As soon as I uninstalled it, it now works for over 24 hrs non-stop.

I have notified Google Tech Support.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.