Most peculiar problem - computer spontaneously reboots!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReuvenNY

About a week ago my computer started rebooting by itself in an unpredictable manner. Mostly when not attended, but from time to time while I was using it.

My first suspicion was hardware: either memory, motherboard, CPU or power supply. I verified that all worked fine. The Motherboard temperature was within normal limits as well.

To exclude any other possible hardware problems, I booted the system with a Linux distribution (Knoppix 3.9), which boots and works straight from the CD. I left it working for over 16 hours with no problem.

My next project was to check my OS. I am using Windows XP Pro. I downloaded from Symantec a Zotob worm remover. Turned out I had no Zotob. I cleaned the drive from all kinds of malware/spyware etc with Ad-Aware, Spybot - Search & Destroy and with Webroot Spy sweeper. Checked for Viruses with two anti virus applications - Avast and Trend Micro online.

I also used VCOM’s Fix-It-Utilities 6 pro to clean up the registry.
The only thing I didn’t try yet is stopping the Google Desktop Tool from indexing, but I do not think it has anything to do with this. (Correct me if I am wrong).

So now I am at a loss - short than reinstalling Windows, is there anything else I can do? Did I overlook anything? Did anyone else have a similar experience?

Thanks for any help.

My system:

Asus K8V SE Deluxe
AMD Athelon 64 3200+
1.5 Gig RAM PC3200 400MHz
1SATA 160Mb drive
1 IDE 120 Mb drive
LG Super Multi DVD RW
Sony DVD-R drive
GeForce FX5200 128Mb video controller
Floppy drive
Fax Modem
Windows XP Pro with SP2
Zone Alarm

could also be the blaster virus. :knock:

you'll need the blaster removal tool
from symantec.

It was not the Blaster either. But listening to all the advise and comments here and elsewhere, I downloaded every possible adware defense program, antivirus as well as two Root Kit revealers - one from Systernals and the other F-Secure Blacklight.
Cleaning up my system was lengthy process, but did not completely resolve the problem. What apparently did it was restoring my system 10 days back. (Surprisingly I could not successfully restore it to several earlier points, even though it seemed like an option).
It’s been now over 48 hours and my machine doesn’t reboot.

An epilogue:

Having played with my computer further, I have identified the actual culprit - Google Desktop Search beta 2 and/or one of the plugins for the program I installed. How do I know? After the machine worked fine for almost three full days, I decided to reinstall the Desktop Search program, which immediately started indexing my files. A few hours later the machine rebooted. As soon as I uninstalled it, it now works for over 24 hrs non-stop.

I have notified Google Tech Support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back